Replaced RAM, MBP will not wake from sleep

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mdwsta4, Jun 4, 2015.

1. mdwsta4 macrumors 65816

Last month I upgraded the RAM in my early 2011 MBP from 4gb to 8gb using Crucial memory. No issues whatsoever, but I figured more might be better to help my machine run a little bit faster. I returned the 8gb and upgraded to 16gb. After installation I ran tests to ensure the memory was working properly and everything passed. The machine runs just fine.

However, when I close the lid and the machine goes to sleep, it does not wake up when opening the lid. I have to press and hold the power button and the screen will turn on however it is fogged over (for lack of a better description) and there are a row of tic tacs that fill in at the bottom (see pic). Once all the dots fill in nothing happens. I need to once again press and hold the power button and manually reboot the machine. This does not happen if I leave the lid open and the machine falls asleep on its own.
    [​IMG]

What is causing this and how can I fix it? Thank you!

2. Jozone macrumors 6502

3. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

SMC reset should hopefully take care of it. It's not unheard of to have to do it after hardware has been replaced.

• The computer doesn't respond to the power button when pressed.
      • A portable Mac doesn't appear to respond properly when you close or open the lid.
      • The computer sleeps or shuts down unexpectedly.
      • The battery does not appear to be charging properly.
      • The MagSafe power adaptor LED doesn't appear to indicate the correct activity.

4. mdwsta4 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks. Tried the suggestion in the link you provided and I'm on number 3 which appears to be the default on all machines. I have 124GB left on the 750gb hard drive and at this exact moment am using 3.14gb of RAM

Tried to reset both the SMC and PRAM and unfortunately the issue still persists.

5. mdwsta4 thread starter macrumors 65816

Slightly disappointed by the lack of help, but I fixed the problem. While the ram passed the tests I put it through, one of the chips was defective. I replaced both modules and everything is working as it should.

6. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Probably a case not seen by anyone, after all memory usually works or fails the memory test. The symptom of it only occurring when the screen is shut triggering sleep is odd, I'd expect that kind of issue maybe when hibernating as the RAM contents are written to disk and reloaded when coming back out of hibernation, sleep should be the same in both cases I would have thought...

7. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

If people don't know the answer, I'd say it's better they keep quiet than post complete rubbish. Other than resetting the smc and pram, which others suggested, I couldn't have added any value.