Replaced Retina screen - yellow tint and dull

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NStocks, Aug 12, 2014.

1. NStocks macrumors 65816

Hello,

I'v recently had my 2012 rMBP 15" screen replaced via a mail in service as I bought it from Apple's online store.

It took 8 (business) days for the repair and as soon as I open the lid, I saw that it's at least 2 'notches' dimmer than my previous screen (which had dead pixels and image retention). The replacement also has yellow tint which further accents the dullness of colours etc.

I called apple (senior service) and they told me that I need to send it away again to have the claim verified. They said that this can take at least one week, but if the claim is confirmed under UK consumer law, I can get a repair, replacement or refund.

The rep. said the AASP will run a diagnostic test and it comes back 'clear' I might be charged! I stated that there's nothing actually wrong with the screen, it is just quite different to what I had replaced. I mentioned that this is a very subjective matter and the service provides are probably replacing the screens with the same colour and brightness, so to them, it will look fine. (I doubt they will remember how it looked before).

Has anyone else gone through this recently? Part of me just wants to send it away because why should I settle for something less? But I just have this huge feeling that the service provides will not be as bothered about the variation, since they aren't the one using it all day... It's just so frustrating because it could just be a complete waste of time.

2. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

Welcome to the screen lottery. I replaced my screen 3 times on Dec-2013/Jan-2014/Feb-2014. All of them had some kind of non-uniform, yellowish pattern. It's a waste of time. Maybe after you exchange it 3 times, you may ask for a new machine, so -- perhaps -- they'll give you a refurb mid-2014 rMBP with an uneven screen. This is the best offer you'll get from Apple.

I'll try replacing my display when Apple launches a new display technology, otherwise it's a waste of time.

3. NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

It's very, very frustrating. I almost said to the Apple Rep. that I'll just not bother with it but I thought "why should I settle with this one?". Once she informed me about the consumer claims in the UK, I knew that I need to at least try.

The thing is, if the engineer agrees that it's yellow/dull, I can get a full refund and buy the highest 2014 model for £50 extra (with EDU discount). Even if Apple replace it for a new one, they would have to provide the higher model since it's the only one with dedicated graphics. (and I paid for an upgraded processor anyway...)

What frustrates me, is that it's all based on what one engineer says, even though the engineer isn't using it, it's down to their opinion, not mine which is totally unfair. I don't think I have the time or energy to keep fighting this though... I'll see what happens when I send it away.

4. Sheza macrumors 68000

Sheza

I had a yellow discolouration around the edge of the screen on my iPhone 5. In fact I've had it twice - on my original and on the first device they replaced which was, at the time, under warranty. The second time it was past warranty and I had to argue consumer law.

My advice is be persistent. The genius in the store at first said that he could see it easily, then as soon as he found out it was under warranty he started to lie to me and say he couldn't see it easily any more. He got his manager over to look who was even less helpful. They had a 'third opinion' and claimed it was my screen protector causing refraction. As a Physics student (at the time) I found this to be an insult, to be honest. Anyway we soon proved it wasn't the screen protector or an underlying scratch. I kept saying how unhappy I was and how Apple boasts about quality yet this was not quality. They said they would send photos to engineers and if it's outside tolerance they would replace the screen for free. Come back an hour later and it's been replaced, so I guess it was outside tolerance.

You're in the hands of an engineer for that stage. But it doesn't have to be the end. If you take them to the small claims court, we'll see if the judge's eyes can see it being a problem, and they'll rule in your favour.

I know it sounds extreme but I would be very unhappy if Apple treated me like that.

I let them know how unhappy I was by doing the genius bar survey and I got a call apologising and saying they were usually 'very lenient on consumer law claims'.

5. NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

It just shows how subjective things like this are. I almost laughed at the Apple Rep. when she said the service provider will need to run a full diagnostics to see what is causing the screen to be yellow / dull. (She couldn't answer my question when I mentioned that different people have different opinions on what a bright screen is, which again is in the hands of an engineer).I also got the impression that they want me to take it to a "genius", or travel to another service provider... I refused to do so - I bought it online so I don't have to waste my money travelling around to fix issues that aren't my fault.

Engineers are just that (no disrespect!) - they see if it "works" and probably don't care about the slight colour variation. I mean, they will have no ideas as to how to judge wether this is duller than my previous screen. Apple constantly told me their service providers are completely independent and not biased... I'm not so sure - wouldn't it look bad if they willingly replaced a screen with a discoloured one without paying attention to the quality?

6. Sheza macrumors 68000

Sheza

Exactly. In this world of numbers-driven targets, the consumer gets a hard time. It was the same when I needed to swap out my Nike FuelBand SE (bought directly from Nike) because I bought the wrong size. They cite a no-quibble return policy if you get the wrong size. I found no documentation to suggest otherwise. When I got to the store on Oxford Street the manager lied to my face and told me he couldn't accept it for data privacy reasons, and then was very rude and implied I had to leave the store after I told him the band could easily be factory reset to completely erase my data.

They gave me the consumer affairs email and after writing to them I was apologised to, given the proper sized band and a £25 gift card.

The numbers-lead manager went through the hassle of lying to me and being bollocked by consumer affairs. Brilliant.

I will just add for what it's worth I ordered my iPhone 5 online as well and, as said, the replacement and argument was at the Genius bar.

7. NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

I've arranged for the AASP to inspect the screen and they will tell Apple wether or not I have a valid claim.

I asked the Apple Rep. how they will determine if such a claim is valid and she said that the engineer will run diagnostics... She has no idea how to determine the screen quality... So if my claim is verified, the engineer will contact Apple's engineers with my consumer claim, they will contact the Rep. I've been speaking to and she will offer a refund / repair or replacement.

However, if my claim isn't verified, the service provider will ask me if I want the screen replacing again, so at least there is something that can be done either way. BUT, this is a vicious circle... I could end up with a worse screen and have to go through the whole process again.

Anyway, it is being collected on Monday and I should know by Wednesday...

8. NStocks, Sep 3, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2014

NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

I have an update.

I'll cut a long story short.

After I sent the "repaired" MBP to the AASP, it was 4 days before Apple contacted me after I emailed them for an update. They said the AASP are still "investigating", even though Apple said it will not take longer than 5 working days - the time it took to replace the screen in the first place.

After 7 working days, Apple told me the Engineer cannot verify my claim because they "compared it to another screen in the workshop and the difference is minimal". So they are probably comparing it to a returned MBP.

Anyway, I received it back to find that it was scratched on the base and near the trackpad as well as being used for personal use - they didn't bother to clear the web browsing history.

Apple contacted the AASP and 3 days later they got back to me. Apparently the AASP "noted on the repair sheet that it came in with a few light scratches on the base". I told Apple that's impossible since there are no light scratches, just one deep scratch approximately 3 inches long. I'm guessing Apple shared the image with the AASP because they claim the light scratches that were already on the base are next to the serial number - the same place the large and real scratch is.

Apple said there is nothing they can do after I asked them to investigate the dates of when the AASP noted the scratch, but Apple said "we don't have access to that" which to me means the claim is useless and of course the AASP will deny they scratched it - their livelihoods depend on Apple's contracts!

I've since wrote to Apple via email (my email was sent to customer relations) and today they called me. The basically told me there isn't anything they can do but will investigate further. I will hear back on Monday (3 working days).

It's likely Apple won't do anything else, so where would I stand in contacting some authority in the UK? I think consumer law can assist me with legal matters (free) but they can't act on my behalf - I just pass the information onto Apple.

So it's been a very frustrating month and AppleCare is nothing like I remember it being when my iPhone was repaired last year (actually replaced!)

On a side note: When I reported the IR on the display it was 5 months after purchasing it. According to UK law, if the item is faulty within 6 months, unless the company can prove otherwise, the item was faulty when it was sent out. Unfortunately Apple didn't agree and only offered a repair. I finally took their offer 4 months later due to work commitments but all the dates are logged on their system.

EDIT:

Upon looking at the dates of when I purchased the Mac and reporting issues to Apple, it was just over 5 months of ownership that I reported the screen had issues. I provided Apple with images and a video showing the IR but they said I can only send it away.

In the UK, if the item is less than 6 months old, the consumer has the right to a repair or refund. (under trading standards) Apple and the AASP "verified" my screen was faulty when the replaced it last month which means it was faulty within 6 months of owning it...

Just something else I can add if they don't bother to do anything about this.

9. Brian Y macrumors 68040

I would seriously suggest going to an Apple store and having it looked at there. You an also speak to, and argue your case, in person.

10. NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

That's a good point but I doubt the managers in the store are any different to Customer Relations in Ireland. They will need to spend at least 30 minutes reading the case notes and who knows what they state.

If I have no luck with the CR by next week, I will write to Apple in Ireland and see what happens then. After that I think I will look at getting the train 90 miles away to the Apple Store.

What I really should have done, but didn't because I put too much trust in people, is to ask the AASP where they think they noticed some light scratches before I sent the image of the deep scratch to Apple. I'm guessing that Apple told them all the details from my photo, which the AASP just said "Yep we documented that when it came in", and later running off to their systems to modify the log.

The repair sheet I received back has a "comments" section. Nothing was written in there but I doubt they would write it in anyway - it wasn't scratched when they received it so why would they!

Really disappointed in Apple(Care), so frustrating that they are believing the AASP on both accounts when I have factual evidence.

11. Rbk23 macrumors regular

12. NStocks, Sep 4, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2014

The screen is annoying, but the scratch makes the whole case so much more annoying.

I've emailed the AASP to ask them to draw on a PDF file of a Macbook Pro the location, size and orientation. They actually replied to my email and said the scratch is in top left on the base cover. WHEN in actual fact it's mid right hand side of the cover. I asked them to illustrate the scratches on a PDF but they have just replied stating they are talking with Apple and I basically need to let Apple handle it.

I decided to contact the AASP 'privately' myself incase Apple don't bother to ask for the details, which so far they have not done. I thought asking the AASP for evidence myself negates the risk of the AASP asking Apple the exact location of the scratch... Now there is a chance the AASP can copy the photograph and lie about the location...

13. Sheza macrumors 68000

Sheza

They used the laptop for personal use, right? To me that is a cause for concern. Apple should be investigating that as well.

AASPs to me sound like they are less likely to be professional, and more likely to do things like scratch your MacBook.

Just make sure you keep all of this nicely documented with as much evidence as possible.

14. NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

Yep they used it for personal web browsing which I've already told apple is very unprofessional. The strange thing is, whilst my Mac was away, I've been unable to track it anywhere using the "Find my iPhone" App... Not sure what that's about but I'd guess this has been all over.

I have everything clearly documented and everything is explained in detail to make it very easy for Apple to see what has gone one. It may be in my mind, but I feel like Apple and the AASP "know" they are wrong but are sticking together so they don't have to refund/replace the Mac.

I *should* in theory hear back from Apple tomorrow since they contacted the AASP earlier today, I can't see why it would take so long for them to make a decision. It's been almost 5 weeks now since I sent it away and still no solution.

I'd never send it to a AASP again. I'd rather spend some time and travel 90 miles or so instead... And people think "Geniuses" are bad!

15. NStocks, Sep 4, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2014

The AASP have just replied to my request about a illustrating where the "light scratches" are...

They used a large range (circle) to cover themselves BUT it's on the wrong side of the Macbook Pro base - positioned at the top whereas the scratch is actually mid way down.

They also said " The condition notes were compared and confirmed to be unchanged on completion" which I find strange...

Oh well, I now have proof they are lying. I also made sure the text 'Macbook Pro' is the right way around so they can't say they were looking at it backwards. They will try though I'm sure.

16. NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

So Apple finally got back to me. They said they won't do anything for me because the screen "works". The scratches are cosmetic damage which Applecare dose not cover. I said that technically if a screen works but has 1000 dead pixels, according to his claim, Apple won't do anything about that either.

I told them the Service Provider emailed me a document of where they claim my mac was scratched prior t repair - Apple will look and get back to me within 3 days.

I asked the "Executive Customer Relations" rep. "Would you accept this if it was your computer"? He just dismissed my question and repeated "The computer works, Apple can't do anything else".

Total BS. If they don't do anything even after this evidence, where the SP "shot themselves in the foot", I will contact trading standards. I also mentioned that Apple should have refunded or replaced my Mac when I reported the issues - 5 months after purchasing but again, the Exce. dismissed such laws. (like the customer relations person did when I called to explain the issues)

This "Executive" is by far the poorest telephone communicator I've dealt with and just doesn't understand what I'm telling him.

17. NStocks, Sep 10, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2014

So Apple called me again. Even with hard proof the service provider was lying about the scratches already being on my Mac, Apple can only allow me 2 DAYS to send the Mac in again for the case to be replaced - This will be a "gesture of goodwill" even though I have proof the service provider totally lied about it being scratched when they received it.

The Executive avoided my questions relating to why it has taken so long and why they neglected the case of UK rights whereby any faulty produce under 6 months old should be refunded or replaced. I also asked him if he would be happy and accept the outcome if his Mac had been sent away for "repair" and turned into a 5 week issue. He didn't bother answering me.

Absolute joke. I've requested all case notes and will contact trading standards. Is there anything else I could do?

18. Sheza macrumors 68000

Sheza

I don't think so, you seem to be doing all you can. It's good that you have kept this very documented. When presenting it to trading standards perhaps you should make sure that you clearly display the infringement, make it very clear to the person you are reporting it to.

If it takes you paragraphs and paragraphs to get to the point, the person will be confused and/or uninterested.

19. NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

Indeed. There are around 6 fairly simple points and all the complex manners can just be summed up as Apple providing poor customer service and not fully understanding the case. (which makes sense since I've dealt with almost a dozen employees - It'll be interesting to read the case notes, if they send them to me)

I'm also planning on writing a letter to Apple in Ireland and Cupertino about this situation. Since I'm dealing with the Executive of Customer Relation for Europe and Africa, my letter will most likely be passed onto him which makes it pointless but it could be worth a try if after trading standards advice fails to convince Apple they are not doing the right thing.

20. RianT macrumors member

RianT

I admire your patience. I would have given up after the first 2 calls...
    So are you gonna accept their offer to replace the casing or are you gonna escalate this further?

21. anarti macrumors regular

Quite an epic story to be honest.

I have completely opposite impressions after dealing with the same issue but at the Retail Store in Aberdeen. My screen was replaced twice when I still wasn't happy with it and the whole procedure took no more than 3 days for each replacement.

Write letters, you've been treated badly.

22. NStocks, Sep 11, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2014

2 days "notice" to send my Mac to the same morons who took 8 days to compare it to another screen and ended up scratching my unit - I don't think so. Apple couldn't answer my questions when I asked if they'd be happy doing that if it was their Mac. I'll see what trading standards have to say since Apple have already broke the law when I wasn't offered a replacement within 6 months of product failures.

I'm incredibly patient - 5 weeks so far! Apple shouldn't be allowed to get away with this but they know that they probably can.

----------

If I had to do this again, I'd just pay to travel to an Apple store. I'd never, ever send it to their service provider again.

I think a written letter should really put my point across about not receiving the level of service and care Apple pride themselves on. I just hope someone is having a good day at Apple and they don't pass my letter to the Executive who won't do anything.

23. NStocks, Sep 25, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2014

After a long process, I eventually wrote to Apple head office in Ireland. I explained the case and lack of care, and today (after one week of them receiving the letter), the same moronic executive called me to say they won't be changing their minds.

I'm done with Apple. I don't even think there's much point writing to Apple in California since they will just pass it back onto the executive based in Ireland. Executives can do what they like no doubt, so it's unlikely they will investigate from the other side of the world.

So disappointing. Hate to be another one to say it but Apple have changed. I'm left with a s*** quality screen, cosmetic damage, poor customer service (communication, care and attention to details) that has taken over 6 weeks.