Replaced some hardware, and have some issues.

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Silver Talon, Feb 3, 2010.

1. Silver Talon macrumors newbie

Ok, So i have an iphone 3g, 8gb version. It got dropped (big suprise) and the screen pretty much got obliterated, but worked. Then my wife went to pull the charge cord out of it to take a call, and ripped the bottom part of the dock connector out. So I ebayed some new parts and got them installed. The screen turned on, and immediatly noticed something wasnt kosher. It was really bright, well like high contrast bright. Bright enough that read emails couldnt really even be read again when looking at your inbox. Plug old screen back it (it still worked fine, just had the glass broken) and everything is back to normal. Now the new screen wont even turn on at all. The dock connector is charging the phone fine, but the speaker is not even close to being right. Very quiet no matter how high I turn it up, and is VERY distorted. Not even usable at all. The dock connector itself looks a bit different from the one I pulled out. Could this be the root of the problem? The screen I bought was the whole assembly, screen, digitizer, glass, home button, everything. Is there a way to make sure I get the correct one I need? Ill be getting ahold of the seller soon, and need to now what to ask for for new parts. Any help would be greatly apreciated!!! Thanks guys!!!

2. DEE9299 macrumors 6502a

DEE9299

the dock connectors on the 3g and 3gs look the same except the 3gs has a plug #7 on the bottom right of it ...if you have that one then its the wrong one........you could have a 3gs screen to only way to tell is for you to post a pic or google pics o iphone 3g lcd and look at the difference between the two

3. Silver Talon thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, ill take some pics tonight, and see what I can find. Would the 3gs connector work for charging and data, but have a weird speaker problem? I would have thought it wouldnt work at all, not just sound weird.

4. DEE9299 macrumors 6502a

DEE9299

ya because the 3gs has an extra plug off the dock connector