Replaced SuperDrive with HD, now "Wi-fi: no hardware installed" message

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bkim, Sep 14, 2011.

1. bkim, Sep 14, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2011

bkim macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have a MBP Unibody Late 2008 with OS X 10.7.1. Everything was working fine until I replaced the SuperDrive with a chasis and a new HD following instructions found on the web.

When I put everything back together and booted up. I'm now noticing that my Wifi and Bluetooth are no longer working. The Wifi icon says "Wi-fi: no hardware installed" and the Bluetooth icon says "Bluetooth: Not Available"

Here is what I've tried:
    * Reset SMC
    * Reset PRAM
    * Remove new HD and reinstall SuperDrive
    * Checked visible cables for anything disconnected (minus removing the display to get to the airport card)

System Information displays the following:
    Hardware > Bluetooth: "No information found"
    Hardware > Ethernet Cards: only shows ethernet controller information

What I suspect is now:
    * I loosened the cable to the airport card
    * Airport card died or I fried it somehow
    * OS X Lion issue?

Any other suggestions?

2. wikus macrumors 68000

wikus

You probably disconnected one of the cables to the wifi card. Open up your macbook and check if you messed up anything during the SSD install.

3. bkim thread starter macrumors newbie

Forgot to mention I checked all the cables and they all look fine. I thought perhaps I messed up the cable that runs across the SuperDrive slot because it was difficult to put back in but ifixit says that's the camera cable.

4. wikus macrumors 68000

wikus

Could be a lion issue (because it sucks) but bluetooth not functioning is weird.

try installing Snow Leopard on a temp partition and see if that works.

5. SteneDave macrumors member

No, I know this problem, it happened to my alu unibody MBP when they replaced the logic board for me. I came home and neither wifi nor bluetooth was available.

The guy explained to me that there was some metal part, I think it was a plate that's located underneath the airport card and that it somehow short circuit with the metal back cover of the MBP.

It was funny because he said it was like just 3mm or less to move back in the original position, where it causes no problem anymore.

When the MBP was on a hard surface, it however sometimes worked, but as soon as the back cover was even a little bit squeezed on the bed or even with hand, it stopped working.

Just my 2 cents....

In short, try to check everything metal that could even just a little bit touch the back cover from the inside.

6. bkim thread starter macrumors newbie

hmmm thanks! I'll take a look at that as well.

7. timothyarnold macrumors newbie

8. h4lp m3 macrumors 6502

9. PatrickHenryPDX macrumors newbie

10. myjellio macrumors newbie

Wifi Does Work After Installing 2nd Hard Drive in cable Caddy

I have an late 08 macbook pro and replaced my cd drive with a hd caddy and hard drive put in it. everything works but my wifi is saying no hardware installed. Bluetooth and camera working just the wifi isn't. Everything was working just find before i did this but now i can't get my wifi back on. I checked the cable looks to be inserted properly. Any one have any solutions ?