Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

james-bailey

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2010
Hi guys, about 2 weeks ago I replaced the back glass of my White 4S and I now notice that the pictures are no where near as clear, more cloudy.

I see that the lense cover has more scratches on it now after 2 weeks than my old broken glass back lense cover which has been used since October!

Is this a common issue with replacements?

Thanks

James

james-bailey

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2010
Was on eBay I bought it. Where do I buy oem, in the UK? All protective film was taken off yeah.

taipan61

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2011
corner starbucks
i got mine from ifixit in the u.s.
they say their parts are oem and i haven't had any issues with them at all
hope this helps, and yeah they are a bit more expensive

romanator

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2012
I had my back plate replaced at a third party repair shop, and I immediately noticed that the part they used wasn't OEM (not to mention, the lens was scratched and seemed to be made of plastic). You can check by looking for all the FCC regulatory symbols, which my replacement cover didn't have.

james-bailey

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2010
makes sense guys thanks.

I am going to buy a new one, genuine parts this time, but would prefer to buy from the UK, can anyone recommend? Thanks

yezza

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2008
I thought I had the same issue after fitting an ebay-purchased conversion kit. It also looked like the outer camera glass was scratched or had tiny cracks in it.

I emailed the seller for support and was assured that there was a tiny plastic lens screen which needed to be peeled off firmly with my finger nail. Box of birds after that.

Cancelled
Jul 23, 2008
I've done this - apparently the after market backs don't come with diffusers. You either need to get one off eBay or buy a back that comes with a diffuser.

quietstormSD

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
San Diego, CA
If your going to get an oem, might as well go to Apple and have them replace it for you. That way if something is screwed up with the repair, you can always go back to them to have it fixed. Plus they have to use oem parts. It's only 29 USD.

james-bailey

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2010
I thought I had the same issue after fitting an ebay-purchased conversion kit. It also looked like the outer camera glass was scratched or had tiny cracks in it.

I emailed the seller for support and was assured that there was a tiny plastic lens screen which needed to be peeled off firmly with my finger nail. Box of birds after that.

Thanks so much, your absolutely correct.

I had to really scratch hard to even realise that there was a plastic cover on there.

Now works and looks as well as the original one and cost me £5.49.

Any other problems I have in the future though I wont hesitate in purchasing OEM to save hassle.

Thanks for your help

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.