Replaced the cmos battery...and now...

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by glenawil, Aug 9, 2014.

1. glenawil macrumors newbie

I opened my mini to replace the cmos battery and now I do not get the startup chime?? I looked for a plug that I might have missed but I don't see any wire or plugs originating from near the speaker. Any thoughts or instructions greatly appreciated!

2. glenawil thread starter macrumors newbie

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Why did you replace it? Have you tried pressing the SMC button inside the Mini?

4. glenawil thread starter macrumors newbie

I unplug most electronics when I leave my office for the weekend. Lately when I plug in the mini it needs to have the date and time reset and reconnect to the network. Therefore I was sure the pram battery needed replaced. It now holds date, time and networks settings but as stated there is no chime at startup.

5. cube macrumors G5

Does it work? I have lost the chime a couple of times on my Macs for some unknown reason. Who cares.

6. glenawil thread starter macrumors newbie

Cube,
    I almost think that too....but 24 yrs. Of mostly happy mac chimes has my old brain expecting to hear it. Also I'm a tinkerer and I'm curious as to what I screwed up while I had the mini opened.

7. cube macrumors G5

I think it must be some NVRAM parameter that got changed.

My chimes came back eventually.

8. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

Have you done the "PRAM reset"? You might let it cycle through a couple of times.

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH11243?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Shut down the computer.
    Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
    Turn on the computer.
    Immediately press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
    Continue holding the keys down until the computer restarts, and you hear the startup sound for the second time.

Release the keys.

9. glenawil thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks... I'll give that try when I get into the office on Tuesday.