replaced the iphone 3g screen - now horizontal lines

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by junithanx, Jul 2, 2009.

1. junithanx macrumors newbie

After my iphone took a swim, the screen worked fine, however it was very light - like the contrast was turned up. i could use it just fine, but decided to buy a replacement screen because they are cheap..

after i replaced my screen, i turned my phone back on. I can see that there is color, however there are white horizontal lines going across the screen every 1/32". is this a problem with the screen? should i send it back and ask for a replacement? i wasn't sure if there was an issue with the connection. this issue did not occur prior to replacing the screen.

ps. everything else on the phone still works fine.

new symptom: when i press the home button to turn the unit on, sometimes it is a blank white screen before i can see any picture (with horizontal lines)

2. junithanx thread starter macrumors newbie

new symptom: now screen is totally white.

Is this an LCD failure? Don't think it's the white screen of death.

3. germanjulian macrumors regular

the screen could be faulty but also the connection between screen and hardware board could be the issue...

the only way u can test it to "try" with a new screen/cable/etc.

good luck.

4. junithanx thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the response. The only reason I did not think it was the connection is because the other screen worked fine. I guess you are right though, I will obtain a new screen. Hopefully the seller will mail me a new one..

PS. I did notice that the connector for the screen to the board came off very easily. However, I tried turning the phone on with the connector pressed down to ensure it was 100% connected and got the same effect.