REPLACEMENT #1: Two blue spots on new 27 inch iMac (2011).

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Amnesiac1, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Amnesiac1, Jul 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2011

Amnesiac1 macrumors 6502

I had to return my first iMac due to the fact that the black border surrounding the screen (not the exterior black bezel, but the black border behind the glass -- the thin strip of black between the top of the menu bar and the beginning of the bezel) was uneven and a few other blemishes and oddities on the screen (strange areas that seemed to glisten as if due to moisture from the inside of the screen).

Now I have my replacement unit.

Unfortunately, I have all new problems to deal with. Near the right side of the screen are two blue spots. I can't see them when I'm browsing white or colourful images, but they really stand out when anything black comes on screen. The company logos before video games, dimly lit scenes in movies and TV shows, etc. These all make these strange blue spots rather noticeable. They are most distinct against black backgrounds, in other words.

Does anyone know what's going on here or how I might be able to fix it?

2. Amnesiac1, Jul 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2011

Amnesiac1 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm not even sure if it is a stuck pixel or some other kind of anomaly. A stuck pixel is usually only a little dot, right? Well, this is bigger than a dot... sort of looks like a little blue spot, smudge, cloud, or area. Dot doesn't describe it well. Could it be a cluster of stuck pixels?

I'm so not up for sending this back to be replaced for the second time. What a headache. I was looking forward to trying out my iMac this summer, not getting to know a few faulty ones for a couple of days before sending them back.

Why does Apple drop the ball when it comes to these screens? It's insane. So many issues for such an expensive piece of hardware.

After initiating my first return, I asked the Apple store rep about the possibility of receiving a replacement that is damaged. She told me that such cases are very rare. :D

3. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

4. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

might it be an issue with an adhesive used by the factory during manufacture? I seem to remember some screen issues in past idevices and possibly iMacs going away after a day or two after whatever is causing the problem dries out.

5. Amnesiac1, Jul 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2011

I "tinker it too much"? What? The blue spot was there and noticeable after having the iMac out of the box for all of one hour.

Strange comment.

Oh, really? Interesting.

Could you elaborate on this, please? It might give me some hope.

6. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

Same thing with me. I played a game for an hour or two and when I'd finished I noticed it had gone

7. dqpassat macrumors regular

I recall early shipments of iPads 2 having the same issue and disappearing within days.

8. Amnesiac1, Jul 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2011

Really? You had the exact same problem as me? Two light blue spots that only show up against black backgrounds? How many days did you have the problem before it vanished?

But did these issues involve blue spots and/or tints or yellow spots and/or tints? Any threads/articles on these issues cropping up on the iMacs and disappearing? I've been searching for hours but, besides the few people in this thread who seem to know what I'm talking about, there aren't a lot of people out there who seem to have discovered some blue spots on their screen...

9. John T macrumors 68020

John T

10. Amnesiac1 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'll get one ASAP.

11. jruss77 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I've been having the same problems with 2011 iMac 21 inch. I have a patch a half inch across which shows in dark blue when the screen should be dark or black. I tried using some stupid software that flash the screen different colours to fix it, but I think I'm going to have to take it back to the shop. What happened with yours in the end?