Replacement 17" Has Click+Beep! Should I swap out the HD without telling Apple?!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by midgetsanchez, Jul 9, 2009.

1. midgetsanchez macrumors regular

So I had a recently purchased 17" BTO with the 7200RPM drive that worked great, but with one issue - the display would have horizontal scan lines and black out occasionally. So I called up Apple and eventually managed to get a cross-ship set up(they let me hold on to my current unit, charge my credit card and send me a second brand new 17" unit as a replacement, and then refund me for the second 17" after I send back the defective unit).

Anyway, the replacement unit looks great, but with one issue - there's a very small light dent on the bottom panel(maybe about the size of a dime). I was annoyed but don't think this is worth having to exchange, since I could probably just unscrew the panel and pop it back into place.

However, what really got to me was the fact that my replacement unit was slightly louder than my original - my original is so silent that I can't even tell it's on. However, with my replacement unit, I can hear the hard drive spinning, which is slightly annoying.

Anyway, I proceeded to restore from a time machine backup and test my replacement unit when I noticed that it would occasionally get the hard drive click + beep + freeze issue that many others who have the 7200 RPM drive seem to be facing. It's extremely annoying, and more importantly I miss the complete silence of my older unit.

My question is, while I'm still in possession of both units(which both have the exact same specs, same 7200 RPM drive, etc.), should I simply just open both up and take the silent(good) hard drive from my old unit and put it into my new one? The click+beep freeze issue is really pissing me off, and my old unit didn't suffer from it - it's just this replacement one(doesn't make any sense).

Anyway, would :apple: notice if I switched the hard drive? Would I get screwed somehow? Do they keep track of the hard drive serials or something?

I really don't want to go through the pain of sending this back, especially considering that a LOT of people are suffering from this issue, and I don't want to end up with another defective drive. I'm sick and tired of games and just want a computer that WORKS.

[​IMG]

2. Sdancott macrumors regular

Sdancott

I'd say swap 'em out... What's the worse case scenario? they ask for it back? No biggie.

My 17 BTO, 3.06ghz 72000rpm MBP is winging it's way to me as we speak, the more i read this forum, they more a worry about my machine having these little dints, dents and defects.

I should be excited about my new baby, instead, i'm just worrying about getting a 'bad apple'

3. midgetsanchez thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. I think I just might, I'm hoping Apple doesn't notice. It just doesn't make sense to me why one hard drive is noticeably loud and has the click+beep/freeze issue, while the other is completely silent and problem-free, despite the fact that both hard drives are the exact same brand/model. Anyway I'm gonna find a Torx T6 and swap the HD's before I send my defective unit to Apple.

Also, I wanted to add that I'm pretty sure the noise is caused by a vibration of some sort. My replacement model has a very noticeable vibration if you press your hand on the palmrest, while my original(silent) model does not. What gives?

Man, what is up with quality control these days?

4. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

Are you sure you just didn't notice the click-beep-freeze issue on the first MBP?

Although there are many people that say they don't have the issue on the 7200 RPM drive, it seems to me that it is systemic, and that maybe these people just haven't heard it yet or noticed it.

I finally got Apple to cross-ship a new unit with a 5400 RPM drive. I deal with the slight losses in order to avoid going through this aggravating process again.

5. midgetsanchez thread starter macrumors regular

I'm positive, I've been using it with heavy HD use and not a single beep, which is what's really puzzling me. It's also the fact that the unit that has the click+beep issue also makes a noticeable vibration/sound...if you put your palms on the palmrest gently you can feel it. My theory is that this vibration is setting off the sudden motion sensor, causing the drive head to park.

It's really strange. I just spoke to Apple and they weren't exactly too helpful...if all else fails I'm going to just switch the hard drives and send them back the vibrating one. Anyway I plan on upgrading to an SSD when prices are reasonable.

6. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

Yeah, it's weird that it is only affecting some drives. I don't get any vibration issues, but I def have the click/beep/freeze issue.

Good luck with your computer. I was also put through a LOT just to get a replacement. Customer service was terrible at first, but once they actually started doing something to address the issue, it was great.

7. midgetsanchez thread starter macrumors regular

Update: So I just opened up both units and swapped hard drives. I'm considering swapping batteries as well, just because the one in my new unit seems to show 99% health and only 12830mAH compared to 13380mAH in my older one(this may just be a calibration issue though). No more vibration/freezing issues! Now I just hope Apple doesn't notice/care when I send back my old unit. I think I might FINALLY have a flawless, but frankenstein-of-a-ma

8. YoYoMa macrumors 6502

Hmm, looks like this is an HD issue then, rather than firmware. I may be in store for an HD replacement after all. Normally I would just replace the whole thing but I'm not sending this perfect laptop back without a guarantee that I'll get another one in its place. Apples quality control is really not what I would hope for. Now I need to figure out how to get an HD that doesn't exhibit the same click beep. I've yet to see anyone get a replacement and be happy with it. Wonder what I should do.

9. midgetsanchez thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, it really is a risk - exchanging your machine for one that could possibly have more problems than the one you currently have. It's like going through fresh apples at a grocery store - you need to go through several bruised/discolored ones before you find the ones that are perfect. That being said, apples(fruit) grow on trees, and nature's never perfect. On the other hand, Apples(computers) are manufactured on an assembly line, and can, at least, be designed to some level of perfection.

I mean, my new replacement unit has a DENT in the bottom panel. A clearly visible DENT. I'm probably going to live with it because it's not worth exchanging a unit with a purely cosmetic flaw and risk getting a unit with more (other) issues.

People equate Apple computers with Porches. You pay a premium for quality. You wouldn't buy a new Porsche with a dent in it, would you?

Anyway, I recommend anyone considering a BTO to get a stock model instead. With quality control down the drain it seems to be the norm to go through 2-3 MBP's before you find one that's flawless. The pain of having to ship things back and forth is really not worth the wasted time.