Replacement 17" Macbook Pro Matte screen?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by f1d, Dec 8, 2009.

1. f1d macrumors member

Hi all,

I have a Macbook Pro 17" with a Matte screen (June 2009) and I seemed to have slightly damaged the screen.

Well, my friend did it, but it was totally my fault for leaving my laptop on the floor next to my bed... he accidentally put his foot on it, not really hard to crack the screen or dent it, but enough so that now there is a really faint 7cm-ish line that is kind of really faint reddish colour.

You can't really notice it when at the desktop or have colours on the screen (such as a game, iTunes) but you can notice it when it's all black.

It's really hard to describe and I'll try to get a picture of it later.

Anyway... I doubt this will fix itself, so I was wondering how much it would cost to have it fixed.

I'm willing to spend a little bit of money (i.e. into the regions of £300+) because the laptop originally cost nearly £2000... so I think it would be worth it.

I have looked into 3rd party fixing it... but I'm assuming this would invalidate my Apple Care?

The repair isn't urgent, you can hardly see it - but I don't want it to get worse, and at the moment it's bugging me just knowing it's there. I will never EVER put my laptop beside my bed again!!!!

Any advice would be appreciated!

Cheers everyone! :)

2. bobdard macrumors regular

As long as you get it done by an authorized Apple Service Provider, it won't void your warranty. You can find them by apple.com look under contact us.

However, replacing a screen will easily cost you £500-£600 (I'm using Canadian prices though - converted to £)