Replacement 3GS, Unlocked?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ajo, Jul 27, 2010.

1. ajo macrumors 6502

Apple replaced my 3GS, im guessing it is open to any sim but once you activate it is it then locked to that sim?

Thanks

ajo

2. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

No, it is locked to whatever network your originally purchased it from, unless your originally bought an unlocked one from your network, assuming your outside the US.

3. ajo thread starter macrumors 6502

My original was from O2. O2 then unlocked it.

I got this replacement from the Apple Store a few days ago. I haven't turned it on as I have my iPhone 4.

When they gave it to me it was straight from the Box. They didn't plug anything in to it at all.

I said that I was going to pass it on to someone else as I had the iPhone 4.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If it replaced/exchanged another official unlocked iPhone then that should also be unlocked would be my guess.

5. ajo thread starter macrumors 6502

My questioning is because im never going to put my Sim in it so dont want to ruin it for anyone else.

They took my phone and swapped it. Nothing was done to the replacement so how can it be locked?

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I think they punch into the system the serial number of the phone and the replacement iPhone that gets swapped and that's how it's determined. If your phone was locked to 02 it stays locked and if it was unlocked the new replacement is also unlocked. Hopefully they did it right for you at Apple.

7. ajo thread starter macrumors 6502