Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ajo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2006
Apple replaced my 3GS, im guessing it is open to any sim but once you activate it is it then locked to that sim?

Thanks

ajo

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Apple replaced my 3GS, im guessing it is open to any sim but once you activate it is it then locked to that sim?

Thanks

ajo

No, it is locked to whatever network your originally purchased it from, unless your originally bought an unlocked one from your network, assuming your outside the US.

ajo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2006
My original was from O2. O2 then unlocked it.

I got this replacement from the Apple Store a few days ago. I haven't turned it on as I have my iPhone 4.

When they gave it to me it was straight from the Box. They didn't plug anything in to it at all.

I said that I was going to pass it on to someone else as I had the iPhone 4.

ajo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2006
My questioning is because im never going to put my Sim in it so dont want to ruin it for anyone else.

They took my phone and swapped it. Nothing was done to the replacement so how can it be locked?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
My questioning is because im never going to put my Sim in it so dont want to ruin it for anyone else.

They took my phone and swapped it. Nothing was done to the replacement so how can it be locked?

I think they punch into the system the serial number of the phone and the replacement iPhone that gets swapped and that's how it's determined. If your phone was locked to 02 it stays locked and if it was unlocked the new replacement is also unlocked. Hopefully they did it right for you at Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.