Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MoodyM

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
I'm in the UK, and ordered my 6S from the Apple Store UK site on 12th Sep. It arrived as planned on 25th, and all was well.

That night it crashed and rebooted with a weird pattern on the screen, and did the same yesterday morning. I took it to the Apple Store in Glasgow who said it was probably a hardware fault, so they gave me a new handset.

However on this new handset, when I set it up, at activation it says "Device is activated on CDMA US network. International roaming requires a SIM." If I just press OK all seems well.

I've had the same SIM/contract in a 5S, 6 and the original faulty 6S and never had this message before.

Any ideas?

kucyk

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2007
I'm in the UK, and ordered my 6S from the Apple Store UK site on 12th Sep. It arrived as planned on 25th, and all was well.

That night it crashed and rebooted with a weird pattern on the screen, and did the same yesterday morning. I took it to the Apple Store in Glasgow who said it was probably a hardware fault, so they gave me a new handset.

However on this new handset, when I set it up, at activation it says "Device is activated on CDMA US network. International roaming requires a SIM." If I just press OK all seems well.

I've had the same SIM/contract in a 5S, 6 and the original faulty 6S and never had this message before.

Any ideas?

Someone will lose a job, I would ring Apple Support or take it back to the store, this is not normal

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth

Any ideas?

I've seen other people mention this, it just seems to be a quirk in the system, the UK phone is the same model as the Verizon phone, so it's throwing up the message which it shouldn't. It's not a fault on the phone.

Check the networks for the A1688:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

kucyk

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2007
That's the correct model.
You are right

A1688: The world phone has almost the same bands as the A1633, except that there is no LTE band 30 (2.3 GHz WCS spectrum deployed by AT&T). This model will also work on both GSM and CDMA carriers. The A1688 is sold at T-Mobile (locked and contract-free), Sprint and Verizon in the US, as well as in Europe and Asia, including countries like the U.K., France, Germany, Singapore, Hong Kong, China and Japan.

MoodyM

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
my new phone did this too which was bought from Apple.

Ok. Weird though that I never for the message on a 5S, 6 Plus, 6, replacement 6 or original 6S, only on this replacement 6S. Every single one of those handsets has been from the Apple Store UK, and it's been the same Three SIM/contract each time...

MoodyM

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
I just got this message from Apple Chat support:

"It seems to be just a disclaimer for the sim for the replacement iPhone. As long as your service is connected, I would disregard. If you have further questions or issues, I would direct them back to the store"

Richie2000

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
West Sussex UK
I had the same message on the initial set up of my UK 6s, also purchased direct from Apple and delivered on 25th. I assumed it was because I had booted the phone without a SIM installed. I checked it was the UK model and it seems to have worked perfectly well on my network for last three days so guess it is just a spurious message that's crept into the software for UK models.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.