Replacement after warranty expiration?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by JrdnDncn, Jul 10, 2011.

1. JrdnDncn macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I have an iPod touch 2G with a warranty that expired a few months ago. Earlier today, the bottom half of the touch screen became completely unresponsive and I have no idea why. If I'm respectful and generally nice, what are my chances of walking into my local Apple store and getting a replacement iPod? I'd be willing to break out the "I expect a high quality product when I pay that much" lines if necessary ;)

2. alukado macrumors member

Yeah, just do what you want to do , hope they don't kick your ass. :D

3. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Being polite and friendly is by far the best approach. If that doesn't work depending on where you live you may have consumer protection laws that could help.

4. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I'm not sure what your chances are given that the warranty has already expired; however, if you are polite and respectful, and clearly set out your case, you might be listened to and get lucky. Bring the sales receipt - or proof of date of purchase - if you have it. There is a difference between an iPod that is 15-18 months old, and one that is three years old.

Rather than "I expect a high quality product when I pay that much", I'd suggest you ask politely whether it is normal for such a well designed product to have such a flaw so early, say that you are pretty disappointed as you didn't expect this sort of thing to happen, and ask them what suggestions they might have regarding a possible positive outcome.

Best of luck with it

5. JamesCotte macrumors newbie

JamesCotte

I dont think you have a chance tho. I was trying the same thing but they were very straight forward to say NO to you. But try if you want, good luck btw

6. likethesoup2 macrumors 6502a

Maybe somebody can help me out with this -- if the warranty is expired, why would they fix or replace it? Isn't that the point of the warranty lasting a certain duration? Or Apple selling extended warranties?

There are plenty of repair places he/she could send it to.

7. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Well, yes, of course you are right, this is indeed the point of warranties. It is also the reason I keep sales receipts, and have Applecare on my computers (and have used it). And yes, legally, Apple have no obligation whatsoever to replace or repair (without charging the OP) anything that is out of warranty.

So, in essence, the OP hopes that Apple will take pity on him, and effect a repair or replacement free of charge. They might do that. It has been known to happen, as it is a high end product, especially if the warranty has recently expired, the fault is one which is inexplicable or a known problem, they are in a good mood......there are a great many variables which could effect the outcome. The bottom line is that the OP has no real legal rights, and cannot demand anything; however, he can ask, and hope.....and pray.

Sigh.

Cheers

8. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

That depends on where you are. Here in the UK Apple's warranty is in addition to consumer laws, that is the case in many countries. I've never had a problem with Apple products (yes they have broken, but after what I think is an acceptable period) but with other companies I have forced them to give me a repair out of warranty.

9. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

The UK has fairly strong consumer protection legislation. For my part, (I'm Irish), one of the key reasons I switched to Apple laptops in 2008 was my excellent experience with Apple Customer Support when two separate iPod classics died on me and were immediately replaced without any difficulty or an attempt to seek refuge in contractual small-print as they were still under warranty. Unfortunately, as consumer protection is not especially strong (or, worse, not always fully enforced although this is finally improving) this has not always been my experience in Ireland.

Likethesoup2 asked whether one had a right to request repairs out of warranty, and, while I would like to think companies would consider it if the case presented by the consumer merits such, consumer legislation notwithstanding, they are not always compelled to oblige.

Cheers