Replacement backplates: Can it be undone?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by soco, Nov 29, 2011.

1. soco macrumors 68030

soco

So iFixit's transparent kit is on sale for iPhone 4 and 4S, and I'm wondering about the job itself.

Particularly, who has done this and tried to go back to the original OEM backplate?

I ask because I bought my 4S at Best Buy, with their BuyBack program included. I don't think I would get my 50% back if this is on it, so if I can undo the job when the time comes, I may pull the trigger on this great deal.

[​IMG]

2. HellDiverUK macrumors 6502

Why do you think you couldn't? :confused:

I mean, you replaced the standard backplate with a different one, why can't you do the reverse. It's not like the replacement backplate melts itself to the phone or anything...

It's two screws out, clip off the plate, clip the new one on, put two screws back in. Not rocket science.

3. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

it takes 2 to 3 minutes to replace the back plate.

4. soco thread starter macrumors 68030

soco

Such an odd tone you have. I'm not acting as if it may or may not be rocket science. I'm trying to deduce whether or not the replacement will lead to any difficulties in putting back the OEM backplate if I need to return it or use my Best Buy Buy Back.

5. loyalist macrumors 6502

Nope!

If anyone is interested in buying my tranparent backplate with tools for the white iPhone 4S, PM me. Bought it but decided not to use it.

6. Oppressed macrumors 65816

Oppressed

I've replaced the back of my iPhone 4 multiple times. None of the circuitry is directly connected to the back. The two bottom screws hold the back in place, once removed it slides out and comes off. Nothing flies out of the unit when you remove the plate either. Simple process.

Completely reversible too, and unless you strip the screws then no one at Apple can even tell it was done.

I would be all over this if it came in white.

7. ylerT macrumors regular

ylerT

As mentioned, it's not very difficult. The only thing you need to be careful of is those pesky "pentalobe" screws. If you don't have the screwdriver centered or try to spin it too fast, they can strip pretty easy.

8. soco thread starter macrumors 68030

soco

Thank you, Oppressed. Glad to see helpful responses. <3

9. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

wait...you want a white transparent iPhone?

10. bollyboy macrumors regular

11. snowwhite007 macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I really wish sumone would release the glowing apple logo backplate but as stated ull be fine to change back, is the buyback a good deal?

12. snowwhite007 macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Anyone notice that theres no flash diffuser rendering your camera useless at night

13. hizzaah macrumors 6502

probably would have gotten more helpful responses in the the iphone accessories forum, but thats ok.

you can buy OEM flash diffusers. I got some to go on my backplates, but honestly I found I dont need one. I mean at first I got some flash washout, but after completely tightening down the screws, it went away. I dont think the flash covers my subjects as well, but overall the phone still takes really great pictures with my Aluminum backplate. Also have a transparent one, but I haven't gotten around to installing it. YMMV

14. ejisfun macrumors regular

Here you go, buddy: http://www.sw-box.com/Clear-Glass-Back-Cover-For-iPhone-4-Without-Apple-Logo-Transparent-White.html

Don't know which 4 you've got, just know that this back is for GSM iPhone 4 only.

15. labman macrumors 604

labman

you can find lots more on this in the iphone accessory's section. reviews tips etc.. with a liitle searching. this really isn't a hack.