Replacement batteries

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by esvee, Feb 19, 2011.

1. esvee macrumors member

The battery in my '08 macbook pro doesn't exactly hold the juice like it used to, I'd say I'm just shy of owning a miniature desktop, so its time to buy a new battery.

So I can buy a service battery for $99 with a 60-day warranty
    Apple retail battery for $139 with a one-year warranty

Or

I can go third party for around $50. Reviews on third party batteries are hit or miss though, so does anyone have any wisdom on if the apple battery is worth it or if I should just save my pennies and go third party?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. man02195 macrumors regular

if it doesn't have 300 cycles on it, apple will replace it. or at least give it a try. you can get a bad apple oem battery, so the warranty is good to have, i received one replacement apple oem that lasted 39 cycles over 2 months, and the second replacement is stll over 100% with 42 cycles.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

They won't if it's not under 80% health, and they won't if it's out of warranty.
    I would never trust or recommend a battery that didn't come from Apple. They're designed to work with Apple notebooks and with MagSafe adapters. Don't think only about the price of the battery; think of the value of your MBP.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

5. GADGETMAN72 macrumors newbie

My humble opinion, get an external pack and triple your battery life

I own a MacBook Pro and I was only able to get just a few hours of runtime per charge out of the internal battery and that is if I was lucky. I'm a professional photographer so this just didn't cut the cake for me when I'm trying to make money off the grid so my eventual solution was to get an external laptop battery from Novuscell Batteries. So far, no regrets because I'm now getting an extra 12+ hours of battery runtime per charge on my MBP. Also, I'm covered by a one year warranty.