Replacement battery and power supply for a five year old MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Pugnax, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Pugnax macrumors newbie

Hey-- I'm just wondering if anybody knows whether it is possible to obtain a replacement battery and power supply for such an old computer. My 17-inch MacBook Pro is about five years old, and the battery seems to be completely dead. It will not start up, will not take a charge, and cannot be used, whether plugged in or not. A multitester test suggests that the power supply no longer works either.

My MacBook has one of the older-design power supplies, with the circular port, rather than the newer, magnetic, rectangular ones.

I'm planning on getting a new MacBook in the near future, but I need to access some things that are saved on my old Mac's hard drive, if at all possible...

Any help is appreciated!

2. Protonk macrumors newbie

If you have the old style chargers, I think you have a 17" Aluminum Powerbook, not a Macbook Pro. Ifixit.com has a guide to repair any replaceable part in that machine as well as an inventory of spare parts.

3. 7thMac macrumors 6502

These are common aftermarket parts for most brands of laptop. I assume these are readily available for your MBP both from Apple and from other companies. You could check on Ebay but proceed at your own risk when dealing with non-Apple parts.