Replacement battery for 2008 macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Gaz0811, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Gaz0811 macrumors newbie

Hi there

Hoping someone can help me, I need a new battery for my 2008 Unibody MacBook Pro but they aren't available on the apple website. I've heard various stories about 3rd party ones not being much good and in some cases damaging the laptop. Does anyone know where I can get a good replacement from?

I'm in the UK by the way.

Thanks

2. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

I've used ones from OWC/NuPower in my Late 2008 MacBook, and I've seen good reviews with Anker ones. I'd pick one of those up from OWC or Amazon. The Anker is usually cheaper and should do just as well. Apple doesn't produce their own anymore.

Not sure on UK availability though.

Generally, third party batteries aren't as good as Apple's, but there are a few that are worthwhile and it's your only option now. If it's got a lot of good, genuine reviews than It's probably a safe bet. Plus a warranty.

3. spangled macrumors newbie

I've got a late-2008 aluminium MacBook. I bought a replacement battery from Tmart (I'm in the UK also) as my old battery barely held charge for more than 30 mins. With the replacement (which was about £25 if I recall) I get around 2.5 hours.

I had previously bought a replacement battery from another Chinese third-party vendor but that one didn't even fit into my Macbook - it had some sort of bulge in it. But they refunded me fine.

I don't think it makes economic sense to splash out £100+ on an Apple battery for such an old laptop.

4. JackieInCo macrumors 601

I don't either. I have an old 2008 black MacBook that's needed a battery for the last two years. Apple wanted $129 for a new battery but I just used it without the battery in place. I quit using that MB once I got a new MBP.

5. meringues macrumors member

Does anyone know if it's technically possible to retrofit one of the mid 2009-on non-removable 1,000 cycle batteries into a late 2008? the logic board design doesn't appear to have changed much and i'd bet the extra space can be found...

6. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Never tried but I wouldn't have thought so for a minute, best outcome I would have thought would be simply a non-working Macbook and wasted time, worst would be a small fire.