Replacement battery for an early-2011 MacBook Pro 13"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by alexjholland, Dec 6, 2016.

1. alexjholland macrumors 6502

Hey, I was recently given an early-2011 MacBook Pro 13", which I've upgraded with an SSD and more RAM.

I have been given a warning about the battery requiring service, so I downloaded Coconut Battery and confirmed I have had 710 cycles, which - as I understand - probably means the battery needs replacing?

It seems poor economics to purchase a cheap battery which then explodes into flames; ferociously charring the bodies of everyone I have ever loved and ruining a perfectly good solid-state hard drive.

Where would you recommend buying a high-quality replacement battery?

Extended capacity would be a bonus.

This model on Amazon has consistently high-reviews. Can I trust it?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Runpower-B...spons&keywords=macbook+pro+2011+battery&psc=1

Suggestions appreciated - thanks.

2. robvas macrumors 68020

Reviews on that look really shady.

Can you get Anker or NuPower in the UK? Those are the brands I would go with if you can't get an Apple one.

3. alexjholland thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow. Glad you mentioned that - every review I've checked is written in broken English!

I can't see Anker or Nupower in the UK.. I've found a Nupower in Europe, although it's 109 Euros - twice the price!

http://www.owcshop.eu/catalog/produ...y-2011-till-mid2012-tools-p-1069#.WEbeZvmLRPY
    --- Post Merged, Dec 6, 2016 ---
    Is paying Apple £129 the only option?

4. Fishrrman macrumors G4

OP wrote:
    "I downloaded Coconut Battery and confirmed I have had 710 cycles, which - as I understand - probably means the battery needs replacing?"

What is the percentage of battery capacity vs. new?
    (this should be SECOND percentage listed in Coconut battery).

It's not necessarily the number of cycles that matters -- it's the capacity.

My 2010 MacBook Pro has 666 load cycles and is currently showing 87% of "design capacity" strength.

The MacBook still runs a long time on battery power. Not as long as when new, but still "long enough".

I see no reason to replace the battery yet.

Again:
    What is your current battery's capacity?

5. alexjholland thread starter macrumors 6502

Here you go, screenshot showing both coconutBattery and the OSX warning message at the top.

I reckon it holds the charge for an hour or, at most, two.

[​IMG]

6. Fishrrman macrumors G4

OK, I guess you're reaching the point where the battery actually -should- be changed!

Just shop carefully for a replacement...

7. alexjholland thread starter macrumors 6502

What do you base that on? The 74 design capacity%?