Replacement combo with iPod Classic and iPod Touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by monkeybongo, Feb 11, 2008.

1. monkeybongo macrumors member

I'm getting my 5th gen iPod 30GB replaced through a Futureshop warranty in Canada. I have the option to get a iPod Classic 80GB or credit towards a new model and I've been waiting for the 32GB iPod Touch. However, I find the price a little too high at $500.

I'm trying to maximize the value to functionality so I thought I'd ask you guys for advice. Here's the options:

1) Get the iPod Classic 80GB for $0.
    2) Get the iPod Touch 32GB for $250 extra.
    3) Get the iPod Classic 80GB for home and iPod Touch 8GB on the go for $300 extra.
    4) Wait for a price drops in the iPod Touch.

Option 3 sounds good but it's the most expensive and I'm wondering if I'll be buying a device that's semi-useless just simply doesn't hold enough for me. The rumoured price drop will put it more into my price range for a 16GB.

2. quicklook2 macrumors 6502

quicklook2

the price will not drop much and not in the near future on the 32 gig touch.

3. BrownManUPS macrumors 6502a

BrownManUPS

The classics are nice if you like music, music, and music. They look pretty and get the job done. The touch is if you want to do everything on one device. I use it frequently as a substitute for not carrying my notebook around.

My advice, if you are thinking about holding off, is to definitely consider that the price in the summer will drop and the 8GB will cease to exist in the iTouch model. However, the touch is not going to see an update for a while, unless it is through a massive firmware update (see the rumors on wi-fi through AT&T and starbucks partnerships).

4. monkeybongo thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the advice. It's going to be tough to fight the urge to buy an iTouch, but I'll wait until the summer or a refurb for lower prices. Maybe by then, Canada will finally get the iPhone.

The classic will be nice to actually hold my entire 60GB+ music library for once.