Replacement due to Proximity Sensor Issue

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Chris10304, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Chris10304 macrumors newbie

I spoke with Apple Care and they agreed to replace my phone, which has had worse prox sensor issues since I upgraded to 4.1.

They offered me the options of sending it back and then have the new phone sent to me or going to my closest Apple store to get a new one. I am choosing to go to the store.

My question is, do they swap just the phone or the phone, the box and everything that came with it? Should I bring the the box with everything in it or just bring the phone?

Thanks

2. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Best to call and ask.

I recently did an exchange from a 16gb to a 32gb. They need the box (the numbers on it) and request the cables too.

They can and will take the cables from the new phone box if you don't include them with the exchange (in most cases). However, if your phone is older and this is a support case, you may not need any of that. I was doing an in store exchange.

Regards,

3. iBaloney macrumors 6502

iBaloney

this info is good to know for my potential iphone next month, thx guys!

4. gtmac macrumors 6502a

You don't need anything but the phone. They have replacement stock in little black boxes.

5. gigapocket1 macrumors 6502a

You only need your phone. No box, no receipts.. U don't need anything. Just take the phone..

6. Chris10304 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the responses... Now I just hope that I can actually use the phone feature on the new one without muting people.

7. iPhonedHome macrumors 6502

I'll be taking mine back in at lunch today and will only be bringing in the phone.

The way I hold the phone it doesn't really touch my face, so hitting any buttons isn't the issue here.

What is annoying as hell is talking on the phone anywhere that there is low or no light. Screen going on and off constantly drives one to insanity.

FWIW I've had all 4 generations and this is the first one i've had to exchange.

8. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I just did an exchange yesterday for the same proximity sensor issue (and a few other problems), the genius employee told me that since I was still within my 30 day return window that he recommends I do a phone exchange (return, re-buy), because if he swapped it out than the serial number on the phone and my original receipt are going to be different, and their might be an issue in the future if I choose to return my phone at the end of the 30 days.

So to do an exchange, I needed to have my box and everything that came inside to do so. I live 10 minutes from the Apple Store, so I drove home and got the box and everything else to do an exchange. So after all that hassle, I finally got my exchange completed, I went home, made my first call, and within minutes I placed the call on Hold.

the exchange didn't do anything, and this was an exchange on a factory new phone and not a refurb.

9. budman1961 macrumors regular

I did the advance exchange on monday, received the phone today. No problems. The replacement s/w version was 4.01.