Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dickie001x

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2008
Hi,

I have a Mac Pro (Mid 2010) MacPro5,1. The optical drive has died (won't recognise any CD or DVDs). Can anyone suggest a good replacement. I know it's a SATA connection but other than that will any make work?

Thanks
Dickie

BillyBobBongo

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2007
On The Interweb Thingy!
In theory any drive will work, but it might be worthwhile Googling to check that no one has discovered any issues with the model that you intend to use. OWC sell 'Mac Compatible' drives, you could use their suggestion as a reference and then go shopping elsewhere...I'm not a fan of OWC.

Apple has a PDF manual on how to replace the optical drive, also worthwhile checking out.

EveryMac.com also have a great page covering most of what I've said as well as some videos going through the process.

Reactions: Kris Kelvin

nigelbb

macrumors 65816
Dec 22, 2012
When I had the internal drive die on 2008 Mac Pro 3,1 & the cheapest & simplest fix was to buy a used one off eBayfor £10 complete with cables & mounting rails that had been pulled from a Mac Pro. I have an external Firewire/USB2 Blu-ray drive that I can use if necessary but it just seemed wrong to have a part of the Mac Pro defective when it could be fixed so cheaply.

Ph.D.

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2014
Hi,

I have a Mac Pro (Mid 2010) MacPro5,1. The optical drive has died (won't recognise any CD or DVDs). Can anyone suggest a good replacement. I know it's a SATA connection but other than that will any make work?

Thanks
Dickie

ASUS DRW-24B1ST

Not blu-ray, but a great, fast, robust drive that is very popular. I have a few of them including in a Mac Pro. About $21-22. They have never failed me.

Note that you will likely have to remove the front plate from the drive caddy (not the front of the drive itself) on this and most similar full-sized drives, leaving only the "slot" portion, due to how the Mac Pro's drive bays open. This is a bit of a pain, actually, but take your time and it will be fine.

Dr. Stealth

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2004
SoCal-Surf City USA
Just an FYI. We have 5 macs in our office. Newer ones and older ones. None of the three older macs with CD Rom drives can read a disk anymore. They try to read the disk and then spit them out. All of the optical drives have failed.

hwojtek

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Poznan, Poland
It's not SATA if it's stock Apple drive. It's IDE.
Any cd/DVD/Blu-ray drive in full-size 5 1/4" format will do. So literally any. If you're unable to find an IDE one, get a SATA connection from one of the motherboard ports (just under the #2 hard drive bay) and route a SATA wire accordingly.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
It's not SATA if it's stock Apple drive. It's IDE.

That is incorrect. If you clicked the link I posted above, you would have seen your error.

AFAIK, cMP 4,1 and 5,1 have no IDE connections.
cMP1,1 and 2,1 have two in optical bays, not sure about 3,1 though.

You are correct concerning there 4,1 & 5,1 cMPs. 4,1 & 5,1 cMp has 2 SATA optical drives. The 3,1 is IDE connection and those drives are just about impossible to buy now.

Lou

flehman

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2015
That is incorrect. If you clicked the link I posted above, you would have seen your error.

You are correct concerning there 4,1 & 5,1 cMPs. 4,1 & 5,1 cMp has 2 SATA optical drives. The 3,1 is IDE connection and those drives are just about impossible to buy now.

Lou

It is possible to get an IDE to SATA adapter to wire up a SATA optical drive in a 3,1 but there is some art and science involved in tucking the extra cabling out of the way.

I have been using the LG WH16NS40 in my 4,1->5,1 since 2015. The drive was recognized properly and I have read/burned all disc types on it (CD, DVD, BD, etc. etc.) with no problems.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E7B08MS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ph.D.

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2014
It is possible to get an IDE to SATA adapter to wire up a SATA optical drive in a 3,1 but there is some art and science involved in tucking the extra cabling out of the way.

Indeed, I did this in a 3,1. It was a royal pain to do, but it worked fine. Should anyone go down this route, consider placing a second sata cable in while you are at it for the other drive bay.

nigelbb

macrumors 65816
Dec 22, 2012
Indeed, I did this in a 3,1. It was a royal pain to do, but it worked fine. Should anyone go down this route, consider placing a second sata cable in while you are at it for the other drive bay.
Far better to buy a used IDE DVD drive puled from a 3,1 & use those SATA ports for a couple of SSDs that can sit in the lower optical drive bay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.