Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Smarky

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 20, 2015
Hello,

My internal SSD failed over the weekend :(

So I bought an external SSD, ran internet recovery that gets me onto El Capitain, which then I updated to High Sierra and from there to Monterey, which was what I was on before.

But as soon as I install Monterey no disk images will mount, I double click them and nothing happens, I can mount them via the terminal. Also no external drives will mount, apart from my boot drive and the SD card is not seen either. Even more strangely, bluetooth doesn't work for around 10 minutes after login to the OS but then works fine. Everything seems to be fine in High Sierra, only seems to have these issues when I update to Monterey.

I've been searching and trying to find a solution for the past few days and I can see some people having some similar issues in places, but no real solution that I can see or get to work. Any guidance? I'm getting a bit lost now.

Smarky

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 20, 2015
As a note to this, I've discovered I can open Disk images by using DiskImageMounter from a previous version of MacOS, it seems that this issue is with the Monterey version of DiskImageMounter which makes sense as that is what is used to open the Disk Image files and it was working fine before Monterey.

Smarky

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 20, 2015
Did you try to reinstall the version of Monterey that you're currently running over the current installation (not a wipe/reinstall)?

Yes I did, many times.

There appears to be a problem with DiskImageMounter and Montery, if I change the Open with to DiskImageMounter from a previous Mac OS on a different external drive, it opens and works without an issue.

I've installed OpenCore legacy patcher and tried Ventura and Somona and I do not have this problem with either of those, but pure fresh Vanilla Monterey it simply doesn't work, I've seen a few threads about this, something is very broken with it and I can't figure it out, it's for sure an issue with external SSD's and Monterey (Plus perhaps my iMac and firmware version), even my Time Machine back version restored to the SDD has the same issue.

Bluetooth also takes around ten minutes to turn on and I haven't found a solution to that at all, again the issue only starts on Monterey but it continues on Ventura and Somona via Opencore. It works on all previous versions of MacOS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.