Replacement for Address Book

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ubercool, Dec 2, 2008.

1. ubercool macrumors 6502a

ubercool

I've had it with Address Book. Of all the great apps we have on the Mac, Address Book is by far the weakest link. And it's such an important work function! Forgive me if this has been covered before, but I couldn't find a good post with deficiencies clearly spelled out. Here's what's critically missing:

1. Copy Address -- I frequently need to add an address in another application. I just can't believe that I have to open a separate window (Command I) to get the address in a format that I can copy it and then paste it somewhere else and then have to edit all the unnecessary information out. Is there an AppleScript that would allow me to do that while specifiying how many field items are copied (i.e. full address, partial address, name and company)?

2. Autocopy -- How unbelievably unreliable is this function? It never works when you really need it to work, like on Web pages, or names and companies without a physical street address.

3. Categories -- no auto-category setting. Very handy, given that you have cumbersomely drag the contact to a category to categorize it.

4. Business card scanning plug-in -- While CardScan has finally been released for the Mac, it's still very beta based on the reviews I have seen. Plus it costs a whopping $230.

5. Ease data entry -- This whole separate field entry is so arcane. Why can't I paste an entire address in the address field and have it parse out all the fields, the way CardScan does it?

6. Fill in your own wish here -- I could go on and on, there are so many features missing form this under-powered app.

Apple please pay attention to the basics in Snowleopard!!!! :rolleyes:

2. ubercool thread starter macrumors 6502a

ubercool

Wow! Everyone agrees! A very, very rare phenomenon on MacRumors. :D

3. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Can't you just click home or work and select 'Copy Mailing Label'

4. ubercool thread starter macrumors 6502a

ubercool

Hehe, OK, one down. :eek: