Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gto1988

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
Lakewood, Ohio
Simple question, MyCast AKA Garmin have basically let the app go down the hole, this is an app I've always counted on, but I need to find a better alternate as they have neglected to update it to iPhone 5, nor have they updated in the last year. Do you guys have any good suggestions?

dsampley

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
I use weather underground. Push alerts, radar and map will show watch and warning areas.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I use a bunch, but the one I have on one of my screens (versus in a folder) is Weather Live.

Others: Weather HD, Weather On, Fahrenheit.

Most of the one's I just named will put the temp in a badge on their app icons so you can immediately see the current temp without opening the app. Fahrenheit also has the same thing, but as Celsius if that's your thing.

bun.bhay

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2011
Seatown
Im currently using accuweather. i previously had used weatherlive and weatherhd. weatherlive has a badge icon. had a headache from watching the live screen. but i like accuweather. gives maps and radar also 15-day forecast. a plus for me.

Bswartz95

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
Cleveland , OH
I use a combination of Weatherbug Elite (Pro) and Weather Underground. Both offer true real-time data. Other apps are delayed by at least 20 minutes (Weather Channel) or more. Also both of these apps have radars that update more frequently. As another user noted, the mapping customization on Weather Underground is unmatched, and their push notifications are very timely. I like the current conditions (temp, rain rate, etc..) on Weatherbug.

Both Weatherbug and Weather Underground offer free versions. I paid to get rid of ads on both (Weather Underground has an in-app upgrade option to get rid of the ad).

Mardifleur

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2017
South Florida
Does/has ANYone here know of an app in US, free or otherwise(cost NOT a factor!)that compares in simplicity yet thoroughness of the lamented departed My-Cast??? I have/have had Weather channel/underground/bug,accuweather etc and they are good but have NO decent radar or lightning features, a GENUINE problem/concern in the lightning capital of the world, south Florida!!! Know this thread is old as dirt but PLEASE any replies would be beyond great anyway!!!

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
It might be good to also check out this other weather app topic to find a good replacement for My Cast.
I love and use BeWeather2 and Widget Weather. BeWeather2 has loads of features I'm not however sure if a specific lightning radar is one of them though.

Maybe a few great apps specific for lightning radar are:
Lightning Alarm (by WeatherPlaza) - paid app
Storm Radar (by Weather Underground) - free app - I did saw a few bad reviews
NOAA Weather Radar (free) or NOAA Radar Pro (paid)
MyRadar NOAA Weather Radar, Forecasts & Storms (free, with a few in-app purchases to get what you want to see)

erutt

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2017
Does/has ANYone here know of an app in US, free or otherwise(cost NOT a factor!)that compares in simplicity yet thoroughness of the lamented departed My-Cast??? I have/have had Weather channel/underground/bug,accuweather etc and they are good but have NO decent radar or lightning features, a GENUINE problem/concern in the lightning capital of the world, south Florida!!! Know this thread is old as dirt but PLEASE any replies would be beyond great anyway!!!
[doublepost=1489533099][/doublepost]I'm in the same boat as you. I've used My-Cast since about 2005 and despite the lack of upgrades over the past several years it has been far and away the best weather app I've ever seen. It was so simple. I like the visible cloud tab, stormwatch tab, etc. I've been searching the app store since it went down last week.

Somebody please recreate this app!

Reactions: SouthernGypsy

SouthernGypsy

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2017
I loved MyCast too, it had the easiest at a glace multi-day forecast, the easiest to view and manipulate radar map. Really sucked when it quit working a couple of weeks ago. The radar seems to still work but the forecast gives an internet 400: Forbidden error. Everything about MyCast was great, simple, easy to view and read quickly. I have tried ALL of the others I can find and all of their maps are harder to view clearly, you have to scroll a lot to get the info. MyCast had each page presented as a full page of info, didn't have to do a ton of scrolling.

Hope they fix it, bring it back, or whatever it takes.

Travnseattle

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2018
Seattle
As an avid My-Cast fan, I currently use 6 apps from the App Store.

1. MyRadarPro
2. RadarUS+
3. WeatherBug
4. AccuWeather
5. Wunderground
6. The Weather Channel

I have yet to find a weather app that was as comprehensive as My-Cast. There is Garmin Pilot, which, is extremely expensive, but it does NOT have the alert factors as My-Cast.

Until someone either takes the time to build a weather app that is/as sophisticated as My-Cast once was, I think we are all just going to have to say goodbye to the days that one App answered every weather geek’s question and had severe alerts, like tornadoes, lightning and any severe storm 24/7, plus any location that you asked to be notified.

I remember a night during that terrible tornado season 6/8 yrs ago that was spread from Texas through Alabama up to Pennsylvania at an Eastern diagonal. My-Cast woke me up, and informed me that a friend was in fact in danger of severe tornado. I immediately contacted my friend and she was grateful that I had alerted her out of the dead of sleep. Today, I have no such faith in any app on iOS or otherwise.

Reactions: colburnr
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.