Replacement for Paint shop pro 8?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Happybunny, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Happybunny macrumors 68000

I have only just moved over from PC to Mac.

Paint shop pro 8 was the last program that I used.

2. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

I don't know much about image software but you could try Gimp. Or photoshop.

3. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Ugh. PSP... ;)

The obvious inexpensive alternatives would be Pixelmator or Adobe Photoshop Elements.

The Gimp isn't really a native Mac app - and whilst it's powerful you may find it rather unfriendly in use. It does, however, have the advantage of being free. Personally I use the full version of Photoshop, but if I had to compromise, Pixelmator would be my choice.

4. Hermes Monster macrumors 6502a

Hermes Monster

Try pixelmator (around£49), GIMP (free) or perhaps Artweaver (free)?

5. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

I switched from a PC to a Mac earlier this year and Paint shop Pro 6 was my image editor of choice. You will be surprised to learn that there aren't any affordable Mac alternatives to PSP8... there are a few options that are reasonably priced but don't offer all of the features that PSP8 (or even PSP6) offered.

The two that I have are Pixelmator and Photoshop Elements. Pixelmator is the one that "feels" more like Paintshop Pro. When I absolutely need a function from Paintshop Pro, I fire up PSP6 within Parallels.

Oh, for vector illustrations, I use InkScape. It is free and does a very nice job.

6. cube macrumors G5

GIMP and Photoshop Elements are not replacements for the latest versions of Paintshop, which fully supports 16-bit images.

I think Pixelmator doesn't support 16-bit.

For a free alternative, you still have to look at Cinepaint.