Replacement For PhoneValet on Lion 10.7.5

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dakrejci, Jan 23, 2013.

1. SteveRoberts macrumors newbie

Still seeking help with getting Phone Valet 6.0.5 up and running on my Yosemite iMac. An update: I did get it running under 10.9.5 on another iMac, so at least I have functionality and confirmation that the hardware is working.

When plugged into the Yosemite machine, the PV LED light does not stay lit when connected to any of the USB ports. Any idea what could be causing that disconnect? Also, the "database" warning persists. Thanks again for any assistance you can provide.

SR

2. -tunes- macrumors newbie

Hi Steve, Just seeing this. Does the PV adapter show up under Apple Menu[click while holding option]/System Info/USB/...? What's the part number on the adapter?
    Did you try rebuilding your openbase database?

3. SteveRoberts macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply. I have rebuilt the database, uninstalled Openbase and started with a fresh database, but still getting "waiting for database to respond." Yes, the device shows up on my Yosemite iMac, but unlike on my Mavericks machine, the adapter light does not stay lit. Here's the info:

Parliant Telephony Adapter II:

Product ID:0x6001

Vendor ID:0x0403 (Future Technology Devices International Limited)

Version:4.00

Serial Number:8054FC6A

Speed:Up to 12 Mb/sec

Manufacturer:parliant

Location ID:0xfd130000 / 5

Current Available (mA):500

Current Required (mA):130

I appreciate any other suggestions you may have.

4. LWks macrumors newbie

Hi Steve,

I definitely hope you get PV working again on your current machine (I know how completely lost I am whenever I'm having problems with it) but IF you, or anyone else posting here, ever decides to abandon PV, please don't toss it out. I'll just state, again, that I'd be keenly interested in purchasing anyone's working PV set up (hardware and license).

Fingers crossed that it works for you,

- L -

5. Analog Kid macrumors 601

Analog Kid

Has anyone gotten PhoneValet working on anything after Yosemite? Has anyone found an alternative?

I've got a Mini running PV 6.0.5 on Yosemite, which also runs Server and some other applications. As it gets older though, I think Yosemite Server is having a harder time playing nice with other Macs on the network. For kicks, I tried installing PV on Sierra and the installer just crashed without giving a reason.

Anyone else still limping along with this?

6. chrisandersen macrumors 6502

chrisandersen

I moved my PV to an early 2009 iMac and installed El Capitan. Runs flawlessly. Now on 10.11.6

7. LWks macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Apr 1, 2017 ---
    Hi,

Since it's been a few years since I've posted here, I figured I'd take the opportunity to mention again that if anyone on this trail decides that it's finally time to bail on PV and who may be interested in selling the hardware/license set up (or if you know anyone else who is no longer using it and still has the working parts), I'm still on the look out for them.

8. SteveRoberts macrumors newbie

YES! Now running under VMWare Fusion on Mountain Lion, inside of my Yosemite install on mid-2011 iMac. Everything works pretty well.

9. John Baughman macrumors regular

For anyone following this thread, I am now running Sierra and Phone Valet is still working for me. The key for me is to wait an hour or so after starting up the computer before trying to launch PV. If I try too early it will fail unable to open the database and will not launch no matter how long I wait. Do a restart and wait a long while and PV launches no problem.

10. -tunes- macrumors newbie

That makes two of us "L". I too am looking for parts, specifically the adapter. I need a second system.
    --- Post Merged, May 1, 2017 ---
    You're running it on a VM? No fair! that's cheating. :D

11. LWks macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, May 2, 2017 ---
    -tunes-

I could be wrong (and maybe someone else has had luck that I haven't) but, the best I can tell, the hardware part of PV (the dongle or the adapter) is seemingly pre-paired with the license code that it was originally issued with - so getting an adapter, by itself, without the original license code it came with, will not work. Even if you already own a license code for PV, you cannot use your existing license with a another adapter. And, even if you find an older adapter and its original version 5 license, there's no way to upgrade that 'pair' to PV 6. I found all of this out the hard way (by purchasing the adapter only and a lot of experimentation). I just thought I should alert you to this (in case you're fortunate enough to find any of this and so you won't get stuck making the same mistake I did).

12. Analog Kid macrumors 601

Analog Kid

Oh man, I hadn't thought of that...

*stares at self in mirror* How serious about this are you?

13. TheFrankGuy macrumors newbie

PhoneValet 6.0.5 with OpenBase 11.0.5 works with MacOS Sierra 10.12.5 on my 2010 iMac i7! I upgraded from Mavericks 10.9.5 and was plesantly surprised that PhoneValet still works! I also don’t get that annoying “waiting for database” message. It just starts. I do need to unplug and replug the adaptors (I have 2 lines) after each boot up as the green adaptor lights do not automatically turn on.

I don’t use PhoneValet as an answering service so I don’t know if it still records voice messages, but I don’t see why that wouldn’t work. PhoneValet still tracks calls, displays the caller ID on the screen when the phone rings, and sends callerID text messages (I primarily use PhoneValet to text my cell when I receive a calls on my home office land lines). I also find PhoneValet great for blocking unwanted numbers.

Does anyone know if there is a way to force PhoneValet to track blocked calls? I’d still like to know when a blocked call is received.

Regards,
    Frank

14. John Baughman macrumors regular

High Sierra (10.13) and PV is still working!!

15. SteveRoberts macrumors newbie

That's terrific! Still can't get it to work natively on Sierra, but VMWare Fusion makes it happen under emulation.

SR

16. John Baughman macrumors regular

Ok.. my phone adapter is going bad. Injects a loud buzz on the line when plugged into the phone line. Phone Valet continues to work fine for me on High Sierra. I have now officially joined the ranks of those looking for a PhoneValet phone adapter. If you have one and would not mind parting with it, let me know. If not I will definitely miss PV as it is now unusable as is.

John
    --- Post Merged, Oct 17, 2017 ---
    Just read another post about license pairing with the adapter. Looks like I am kissing PV goodby. It was a good ride. :)

17. dduck macrumors newbie

dduck

Hello, Totally new to this site and looking for information about PhoneValet. I'm totally stumped. I'm using a dedicated old MacMini with 10.5 or Leopard and Parliant 6.0.3. It's worked forever with no problems until a week ago. The best part about PV is it's ability to send a voice message to an email address. There is nothing that can do that and I was so disappointed when they just pulled the plug and quit. Now it does everything but will not send an email to me so I can hear my messages. I haven't done anything that I know of. It actually happened when I was away for a week. No messages at all. Usually if this happens I just reboot the mini mac and it works just fine. Can't get it to send me my voice mails to my email address. Anyone have any idea. It sucks that Parliant just leaves us out to dry. One of the best programs out there. I also always used an apple email address, either .mac or .me but had to switch to a .aol address to make it work. That was at the end of Parliants support. Would like to use a .mac address, but more importantly I want my voice mails sent to my email address. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks so much if you do.
    donald

18. SteveRoberts macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Dec 23, 2017 ---
    Hi,

While I can no longer get PV to run natively under Sierra, I am running it under emulation (VMware Fusion, 10.8.2), which works pretty well.

Somewhere along the way, I began having trouble with PV's outgoing emails. While I can still send out to a single email address at any domain, multiple email addresses will not work. In looking at the bounced emails from failed attempts, PV seems to be adding an "=" at the beginning of the address. Not sure why.

Sorry that I cannot be of greater assistance to you.

SR

19. dduck macrumors newbie

dduck

Thanks Steve, I can't get it to send out even one email telling me there is a message. Where can I find the bounced emails? I've looked everywhere. Strange thing is all the other features work just fine. Anyway, thanks for your time.
    donald

20. SteveRoberts macrumors newbie

Mine all go to the spam box. That's where I saw the PV was inserting an equal sign before the address. Agreed that email of voice messages is a great feature. I'd find a lot less value in PV without it.

SR

21. dduck macrumors newbie

dduck

Hi Steve, thanks for the tip about the equal sign. I started looking deeper into PV and tried to send email directly from within the program. I couldn't do it, so dug a little deeper. Found the problem and wham bam, it now works perfectly. Actually I started sending the voice mails to my iPhone and that worked, but looking deeper I took away the .aol.com from my login name and it worked. I had my log in name as xxxxx.aol.com forever and it always worked. For some reason it stopped working. So now my log in name is xxxxx. Works perfectly. Thanks for getting the ball rolling. Have a great holiday.
    donald

22. chsnyder, Jun 29, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2018

chsnyder macrumors newbie

chsnyder

Just upgraded system to 10.13.5 and now whenever I try to change the preferences, I get a spinning rainbow and Phonevalet becomes unresponsive. Have not found a fix for that yet, but all other upgrades to this point have gone well. Any comments?

23. John Baughman macrumors regular

--- Post Merged, Jul 1, 2018 ---
    Sorry, I’ve got nothing more for you. FYI my PV has finally bit the dust with the PV modem or whatever it’s called no longer amongst the living. RIP PV.