Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rocco83

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 3, 2011
Are there any actual replacement programs for Photos out there? I absolutely hate Photos with all of my being and would love to find a capable replacement. I admit I long to have iPhotos back. It wasn't amazing, but I feel Apple took a few steps back with Photos. I find more apps that would have taken the place of Aperture, but I can't seem to find something that takes the place of Photos.

Thanks

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Why not just stick with iPhoto for now?

Still runs under El Capitan as good as it ever did...

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
Lightroom is probably the number one product in this category.
Capture One
Photo Mechanic is another choice

+1

I've looked hard at Capture One and LR, but I'm still (Gasp!) using Aperture.

My photography isn't for a business - purely my own family collection- so I believe I have time on my side without the pressures of updated software so until I'm done organizing my collection from the past to now, I'm sticking with AP.

Or, until AP stops working with Mac OS...whichever comes 1st. Once I'm done organizing, then I'll make a decision. Capture1 isn't cheap, but I do like owning the software unlike LR which is, for the most part, subscription based.

Hopefully Photos will be updated to catch up to what AP can do. Keywording is huge for me. Also is the involvement of videos. I'm looking for an all-inclusive way to house my movie files too instead of having photos in 1 app and home videos in iTunes. All comes down to a real anal retentive desire to have my photos/videos in chronological order. Crazy because I'm not like that with much of anything else lol

Hope you find a solution!

btw, I don't work for this company, but used this trial and might end up buying it. Not cheap, but wow...does a fantastic job of taking various folders and compiling into one. You can have it automatically name and organize files. Just crazy how it works.

I used it to partially (limits of trial) to take a folder from my old Canon handheld camera, plus a few older iPhone/iPad folders* to sort into 1. It will analyze files and not copy duplicates! I also had it create a folder structure much like I have for Aperture (year - month - day). You can have it name moments as well.

NOT a photo viewer by any means, but one heckuva file organizing which can form the base for importing into any program.

http://www.vector15.com/silentsifter/

Cheers,
Keebler

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Are there any actual replacement programs for Photos out there? I absolutely hate Photos with all of my being and would love to find a capable replacement. I admit I long to have iPhotos back. It wasn't amazing, but I feel Apple took a few steps back with Photos. I find more apps that would have taken the place of Aperture, but I can't seem to find something that takes the place of Photos.

Thanks

Lots of folks are happy using the new Serif Affinity Photo program. ($49.99)

Rocco83

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 3, 2011
Why not just stick with iPhoto for now?

Still runs under El Capitan as good as it ever did...

Can you go from Photos back to iPhoto? If so I would happily switch back.
[doublepost=1460086856][/doublepost]
Lots of folks are happy using the new Serif Affinity Photo program. ($49.99)

This seems more along the lines of Photoshop than Photos or iPhotos. I'm not so much looking to massively edit photos as I am looking for a way to arrange them and make the small changes iPhotos or Photos can do. I have Photoshop for editing. Thanks though. I may end up picking up Affinity just to mess around with.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Can you go from Photos back to iPhoto? If so I would happily switch back.
Its not backwards compatible, but if you have an old backup, you can then re-import the new images that ended up in Photos back to into iPhoto.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote:
"Can you go from Photos back to iPhoto? If so I would happily switch back."

Look in your home folder.
Is the "iPhoto" folder still there?
If so, just get the final version of iPhoto (9.6.1) and use it.

IMPORTANT!
There's "a trick" to obtaining iPhoto 9.6.1.
1. First, move your existing copy of iPhoto -out of- your Applications folder (I suggest you create a new folder somewhere on your drive, and then move "old iPhoto" into it).
2. Now, go to the App Store and search for iPhoto
3. See if you can download it (it may appear in the "Purchases" area)

For some reason, El Capitan won't let you re-download iPhoto 9.6.1 unless the older version "isn't there" (in the Applications folder).

If this doesn't work...
... there are "other ways" to get iPhoto 9.6.1.

Aside:
Why does Apple insist on making simple things like this so difficult?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If so, just get the final version of iPhoto (9.6.1) and use it.
Unless I'm wrong, the issue is not using iPhoto, but having his images in a library that is compatible with iPhoto. I believe Photos upgrades the library to a new structure that makes iPhoto incompatible. He may have the older library still handly but any new images loaded on since switching will need to be exported out of Photos and imported into iPhoto.

Rocco83

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 3, 2011
Currently I have exported all of my photos onto an external TB drive. I guess in theory if I redownload iPhotos I should be able to import them all back in with no issues. I may just try to download iPhotos and give it a go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.