Replacement for Quicktime Player 7 Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Rreini, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Rreini macrumors newbie

Knowing that macOS will soon no longer be able to run 32-bit programs, I want to find a replacement for QuickTime Player 7 Pro. I use the ability to extract clips from videos quite frequently, and Quicktime Player X doesn't have that. VLC doesn't have that, either (or if it does, I've never found it). Any recommendations?

2. velocityg4 macrumors 601

velocityg4

Although I haven't tried them. Cineplay, MPEG Streamclip and Lossless Cut should all support trimming and rewrapping without re-encoding.

Of the three. Lossless Cut appears to be the most robust. It is built to use FFMPEG. MPEG streamclip is dependent on Quicktime and no longer in development. Although it should work with Quicktime X installed. Although Cineplay is supposed to support it. That doesn't appear to be the primary function.

As Lossless Cut seems the best bet. I'd start there. It is open source. So it may have a steeper learning curve. It supports the widest range of video formats.

About: https://github.com/mifi/lossless-cut
    Downloads: https://github.com/mifi/lossless-cut/releases (The Darwin version should be for Mac)

3. MarkC426 macrumors 6502

This is only a problem if you MUST upgrade your os immediately :p

4. Rreini thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the suggestions. I've downloaded Lossless Cut and will be investigating it, trying to figure it out. Looks promising so far...
    --- Post Merged, Feb 7, 2018 ---
    True, but some day, I will have to upgrade (or get a Mac that can't handle anything older than High Sierra's replacement), so I want to be prepared.

5. Howard Brazee macrumors 6502

Howard Brazee

I can't go to Mojave because kJams uses Quicktime 7. (The writer is working on an upgrade). I expect this will be a slow upgrade with people having programs that won't work.

6. chscag macrumors 68030

chscag

Apple has already announced that 32 bit apps will continue to run in Mojave. It's the next version of macOS after Mojave that will be 64 bit only. It appears that 32 bit apps will be around at least throughout most of 2019.

7. Howard Brazee macrumors 6502

Howard Brazee

That's a relief. I like it that the developers of software I need have a fire under them to upgrade! Does this include Quicktime 7? (kJams uses Quicktime 7)

8. chscag macrumors 68030

chscag

Yes, QuickTime 7 will continue to work as before.

9. Supermacguy macrumors 6502

Submit bug reports or suggestions to Apple if you want to see QT7 live!

10. jackoverfull macrumors member

jackoverfull

I'm looking for an alternative to quicktime player pro as well…My main use, and that I've not found an alternative yet, is slowing down audio wjile keeping the pitch and also having a couple of "bookmarks" in the file i can quickly recall, going back to that point immediately (see photo for a typical setup). Also, it's important for the application to be able to open many files at once.

The huge issue I'm having at the moment is that while QT7 Pro still works on recent systems slowing down files doesn't always work properly, with the audio cutting out randomly unless you're exactly at one of the marked spots on the slider.

Attached Files: