replacement for scratched screen?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by McDLT, Aug 10, 2009.

1. McDLT macrumors regular

i have 2 questions, one general and one specific.

general first:

i have a bunch of superficial scratches on my 3gs after only a couple months of use. i treat it exactly the same way i treated my 2.5 iphone for over a year. that one never got any scratches of any kind. will the apple store replace my phone or repair the screen at no cost?

2nd question:

i am away from home for the entire summer. i have access to an apple store, but not the computer i sync to. i do have my wife's laptop. if i make a backup to that and restore a new phone from it, will it copy everything and will there be any hassle in syncing to my own computer when i get home?

thanks.

2. celticpride678

No. The scratches are of user fault and Apple will replace it for a fee of $200. Not covered under warranty.

3. Scooterman1 macrumors 6502a

Scooterman1

I think their reason for not being covered under the warranty is:
    They know it didn't leave the store that way, so you MUST have done it.

4. McDLT thread starter macrumors regular

i thought maybe it was defective. the screen is meant to be scratch resistant and i am not doing anything differently than i did with my previous phone which never got scratches.

5. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

It's scratch resistant, not scratch proof. The screen is glass and glass can be scratched.

6. McDLT thread starter macrumors regular

i understand that but it does seem odd to me that i would have multiple scratches on a very new phone and none on a phone that i had for a year and a half. it obviously has to do with the new screen coating or something. i did a search and it looks like i am not the only one. i would personally consider it a manufacturing defect.

7. christyn macrumors 6502a

for every person who complains about this, there are 10 more who have no issues with 'scratching' of the 3gs. They're not going to buy that it scratched due to a defect.

8. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

no

and

you'll have contacts, calendars, safari bookmarks, sms messages, etc
    but you'll lose apps and music/videos. Apps can be redownloaded from the app store and synced over. For the music, your out of luck until you get home

9. LastZion macrumors 6502a

I just paid $258 to replace a shattered screen, didn't do anything different than I normally do (in my pocket alone) and I have a nice big scratch horizontally across my brand new screen. FFS!