Replacement Glass Needed

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by creighton94, Oct 11, 2010.

1. creighton94 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,
    I'm new here, but recently my iphone 4 fell out of my pocket getting out of my car onto concrete and is now cracked at the bottom left corner and either im going crazy or more cracks are appearing everyday.. but heres the question:

do i need to go into apple and pay the 200$ fee to receive a new one, or can i buy new glass and take it somewhere and have them install it?

if its the new glass, can it be front glass digitizer replacement (http://www.amazon.com/Front-Digitizer-Replacement-iPhone-4G/dp/tech-data/B0044KOK08/ref=de_a_smtd)

or

replacement screen with LCD and touch panel..? (http://www.directfix.com/mm5/mercha...gory_Code=CS&Store_Code=GHT&Affiliate=froogle)

thanks so much everyone. any help appreciated.

2. triptyx macrumors member

triptyx

Many larger cities have private iPhone repair shops that may do a good job. I know there's one in Dallas that a friend of mine swears by for lower cost battery/glass repair. Check around and see if something like that exists where you live.

3. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

It never hurts at all to simply speak to a repair shop to get an estimate. Make sure that if you do speak to a 3rd party repairer that it is an authorized repair shop. Otherwise, your warranty is essentially moot.

4. DEE9299 macrumors 6502a

DEE9299

okay..lets clear up some myths........

there are no apple authorized IPHONE repair shops....there are apple authorized computer repair shops ONLY...... OP that glass will not work because its impossible because the glass, digitizer and lcd are all electrochemically fused together. You cant seperate them, at least not without almost certainly breaking the layers underneath. You have 2 choices either go back to apple and have them swap the phone ( they may or may not swap it for free ) or pay them the $199 plus tax to get a new phone or find a reliable repair shop near you......

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Exactly.
    And also those replacement screens for iphone 4's are expensive so mind as well pay a bucks more and have apple replace your iphone.