replacement hard drive clicking..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by brent0saurus, Apr 10, 2009.

1. brent0saurus macrumors regular

brent0saurus

I just replaced my original powerbook hard drive with a 160 gb WD scorpio and it's make a clicking sound occasionally (like every 10 seconds maybe...)
    I've heard clicking can bee a failing hard drive but i don't know if it's this kind of clicking...
    It's not in a rhythmic pattern or anything, just the occasional click.

could this be because it's a bigger hard drive? i feel like this hd is generally louder (although not by much) than the one that apple gave me, which sorta sucks becase wd claimed it was the quietest 2.5" drive. obviously not.

i might just be paranoid, but wanted to get some of your expert opinions on this.

thanks everyone!!

2. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Open Disk Utility and run a check on the drive. It is usually pretty good about telling you if the drive is starting to fail. When the drive failed in my MBP, it all started with the occasional click. In this situation Disk Utility told me the drive had issues that could not be repaired. I was able to get another HD and back the old one up without a problem.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I think the WD Scorpios click occasionally to park the read heads to minimize wear.

4. brent0saurus thread starter macrumors regular

brent0saurus

hm, this sounds good to me.
    and i verified the disk and DU says it appears to be fine.
    i guess everything is okay.

thanks guys!