Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acruzjr

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2008
Just picked up a WD scorpio 250GB HD for my PBG4 15". Debating having Best Buy do the instal for $50 USD. Seems to be reasonalbe price. Anyone have good/bad luck with Best Buy for doing computer work?

I just replaced my PB 15" crashed 80GB Toshiba drive today. It took me just under 2 hours. I printed this step-by-step instructions from iFixit. Just make sure you have all the required tools. I even ordered the spudger from them.

gri

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2004
New York City, aka Big Apple
Some advice please

I have a PB G4 1.5 GHz with a 80 GB HD that seems to be dying - and of course I am traveling...

The computer does not respond every 5 to 10 minutes with a spinning wheel and rhythmic clicking noise of the HD. I used disk repair and repaired the permissions, some had to be repaired without problem, after that though same issue. I checked the disk and Disc utilities found problems but could not repair the disc. I than used Norton Disc Doctor who failed to check the disc twice for some "serious error, likely hardware related" Getting increasingly nervous I cashed in for Disc Warrior, who reported the same thing (lost 100 bucks there), the repaired catalogue could not be replaced due to hardware errors with the disc and a dire warning to back up as the problem likely is to get worse. So it seems it is dying.

Now, this is luckily not my main computer but my previous one I use for travel, my MBP is sitting in NYC so I don't need the largest and fastest disc on this one. But if I have to replace it I want a bigger one (100 to 120, 23 still free on this one). Which one would you recommend (US). And what about this replacement guide from apple (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=111925), seems easier to me, without going at it from the top but rather the back, leaving the keyboard in place.

windowpain

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Japan
Hello.

I may be wrong but it looks like the page you linked to is for a Titanium powerbook, not the aluminum one you have.
You are right though, It does look easier.

For the Alu Powerbook you need to remove the top.
I would recommend a WD hard drive. I think there are a few linked to in this thread..

junior77

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
Michigan
MicroCenter

MicroCenter has Western Digital Scorpio 5400rpm 250GB IDE 2.5" for $90, with $60 installation fee or you can buy the tools and do it yourself. Dropped it off Friday night, picked it up on Sunday morning. So far, no major complaints...speed seems to be improved and lots of extra space for iTunes/iPhoto.

wallapaloo

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2008
very confused...

I have a 17" PowerBook G4 1.5 and the hard drive recently crapped out on me. After a while of researching I decided to upgrade the hard drive to a Western Digital Scorpio 160gb ATA. Size isn't an issue as I have a large external hard drive that I backup to frequently. I'm new to the system configs of Macs, specifically this PowerBook. After doing my own swap out of the drive I rebooted with the installation cds that came with the computer originally. I have gotten as far as "select the destination" screen on the installation process. Here though my new drive does not appear. I went into disk utility and erased the hard drive and went back to the install process. This time the drive does appear, however I cannot select that drive to install on. Can someone please tell me if this is because of the hard drive itself or if its an error in my formatting.
Thanks

windowpain

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Japan
Did you get any error messages saying why you couldn't install on the drive?

My guess is that the drive is ok, but you have formatted using the wrong partition scheme. Try formatting again and when it gives you options check something else.

I think of the top of my head that intel macs need to use GUID partition scheme whereas PPC macs need apple partition map...
I could be wrong on that.. but try a different option and you might have some luck.

You can verify the disk in disk utility to make sure its ok.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.