Replacement HDD for iMac 27 inch late 2009.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Smokiebones, Nov 24, 2011.

1. Smokiebones, Nov 24, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2011

Smokiebones macrumors newbie

Hi all

I need to replace the HDD in my iMac 27 inch. The HDD is the one with the Temp sensors built-in to the HDD. I need a model number before I take my iMac apart. Can anyone help with a model number? I would appreciate it. The iMac model is A1312.

BTW, I know I should look at about this Mac, but the system info would not load even booting from my MacBook in target disk mode.

Thanks in advance.

2. MatthewAMEL macrumors 6502

MatthewAMEL

There were three different manufacturers used by Apple in the 2009 model. Hitachi, Seagate and Western Digital. They each have a unique HDD Temp sensor cable.

I recently replaced my dead factory 1TB Seagate (ST31000528AS) FW:AP24 with a Western Digital 3TB Green (WD30EZRX).

To address the HDD Fan Speed issue, I am currently using HDD Fan Control and it works perfectly.

My one remaining issue concerns Win7 in Bootcamp. No matter what, the HDD fan will not speed up. It stays at 1,000RPM. That's bad.

I just ordered the Optical Sensor Cable that is supposed to fix the problem in HW. I don't know if it works yet.

3. revat macrumors newbie

I replaced my failed seagate with a crucial m4 SSD. I took the circuit board off the seagate, and left the thermal sensor plugged into it. I plugged the SATA and power cord into the new drive. I was able to mount both using the bracket holding the hold HDD. Used http://www.mactrast.com/2011/07/how-to-enable-trim-support-for-all-ssds-in-os-x-lion/ to enable trim. It is working great. No fan issues, no drive issues. Really fast.