Replacement HDD Shoe/Slide Thing

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Meep, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Meep macrumors member

Hi,

For the first time today since getting my MP back in April I had to take out my boot hard drive which is also the one that came with the system.

I pulled out the HDD with it's attached shoe/slide thing and noticed that the ape/baffon/genius that had fitted the factory drive had over tightened the screws thus squashing and tearing the washer/jacket that the screw sits in. Now being a perfectionist and also the fact that I paid nearly £2000 for it this isn't what i expect from Apple. My question is though: will they take my word that it wasn't me and replace the slide for free for will they say that i did it and say I should pay for a replacement?

Thanks
    Meep

Note: I just did a bit more research and found the the proper name for the shoe/slide thing is hdd carrier.

2. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

call applecare. tell them your story. i don't have experience with this exact issue, but in my experience they've done things to help. i think you have a good chance of getting a free HDD carrier/tray. but, i don't think anyone on the forum can give you a definitive answer. it's probably best to just call, and see what happens.

3. Meep thread starter macrumors member

I know i should of done it to start off with but it wasn't a massive problem and I didn't want to waste anyone's time by just ringing up Applecare and then being told to bugger off. Though by writing this thread it gave me time to formulate a sentence to describe the problem that and not just a bunch of random words strung together.

Anyway the guy I spoke to was very understanding (he didn't call me a nutter and hang up the phone) and they're shipping me out a new tray! At first I was a bit frightened as they wanted my card details for a deposit as they wanted to old one returned but at the last minute changed their minds so I should get my replacement in 3 working days which turns out to be Monday because of New Year's Day..

Anyway all's well that ends well.

I have one questions though: are all Apple Care people based in America as they guy had an American accent and at first had trouble with my UK post code.

Meep

4. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I assume your machine was assembled in Ireland? Cause the same thing happened to my newly built system. As soon as I discovered the fault I called Apple with my problem, they past me to Teir2 assistant whom offered to send me a free replacement sledge and within a week i got the replacement.

Taking out the screw took forever! I didn't have the correct set of pilers.. lol

5. Meep thread starter macrumors member

Yeah mine was a Cork special. The mashed up rubber washer wasn't that annoying until I had to eat 3 cans of spinach until i could unscrew the thing and even then the screws got a bit chewed up.

Did your carrier (apparently the proper name for the hard drive thing) have the correct number on it? My OCD would go into over gear if i had incorrectly number carriers....

6. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Hmm.. Sounds like we had the same thumbling engineer build our systems, either that everyone there all blind intoxicated.

7. Meep thread starter macrumors member

Not to stereotype a Country or anything but it is Ireland.......... maybe they were sober?

8. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Cor blimey guvneh!
    Perhaps they'll do a better jobi if they had been intoxicated?

Hehe :D