Replacement iMac SSD

Discussion in 'iMac' started by shane0524, Jul 25, 2019.

1. shane0524, Jul 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2019

shane0524 macrumors newbie

I had a failure of my Fusion Drive SSD. I am trying to replace the HDD and SSD to put it back to how it was from the factory. I am having trouble finding the SSD component of this system. Does anyone know where to get it? (Besides a used on ebay) The part I removed and need to replace is a San Disk SDNEP 655-1837F 128 GB.

I am not interested in an SSD to replace the HDD, just want to put it back to how it was from the factory.

2. mikehalloran macrumors 68000

If only we knew what year and model your iMac is...

It makes a Big difference
    --- Post Merged, Jul 25, 2019 ---
    It may not be possible, no matter what your interest or lack thereof. Really

3. shane0524 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. rpmurray macrumors regular

Apple says that iMac is too old. Toss it in a landfill and buy a new one.

5. mikehalloran macrumors 68000

That makes it one of 4 late 2014 iMacs (one of 8 if you count the SSD models). Either tell us what you have or no one can help you.

6. CoastalOR macrumors 68020

CoastalOR

Reread the OP's post 1. They are looking to replace the OEM SSD of a FUSION drive without using eBay.
    The only place I know of to get a replacement OEM SSD is from eBay.

7. mikehalloran macrumors 68000

I’ll sell the OP one but I don’t recommend it. Like all of them before 2017, it’s an AHCI, about 1/4 the speed of an NVMe 3 x4 blade (in a 2015) or half the speed in a 2013–2014.

It’s a 128GB that I pulled from my wife’s 2013 MacBook Air when I installed a 512GB. Contact me back channel. $25 plus a little postage, it’s yours.

The NVMe has a wake from sleep issue with an easy workaround through a Terminal Command. A slow 2TB Intel 660p is $207; 1TB is $98. A fast 970 EVO is a waste of money in these as the buss is too slow for anyone to realize the increased speed.

8. shane0524 thread starter macrumors newbie

its a 27 inch 5k with 3tb fusion drive,

sounds like there isnt a place to get a replacement ssd brand new, must be a proprietary size from the oem, im going to try just replacing hdd and seeing it if will allow me to reinstall macos, the data recovery place i went to said the ssd was dead but im not totally sure of it after i did a bit more digging

9. macguru9999 macrumors regular

Your old fusion drive was made of 2 components, only one of those would have been faulty, probably the HDD but possibly the SSD given its age. Test them in isolation. ANY HDD such as the Seagate 1TB , and ANY correct form factor SSD can be configured into a fusion drive using instructions available online. You do not need the original brand to get a working fusion drive.

10. Trusteft macrumors 6502a

Trusteft

Why don't you just replace the hybrid drive with something else?

11. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

The blade SSD may not be "dead".
    You need to get booted from internet recovery (command-OPTION-R at boot).
    Then check BOTH drives with disk utility.

You MIGHT be able to re-initialize (re-format) both drives.
    You won't know this unless you try.

See if you can just get booted to internet recovery (key command above).
    This IS NOT "the recovery partition" (which you get from "command-R").

Give it a try.
    Then come back and report your results.

Alternative course of action:
    You could just leave the platter-based hard drive in there, and boot and run from that.
    It will work ok, but it won't be "fast".

Or... buy a USB3 SSD, connect that externally, and boot and run the iMac that way.
    The internal HDD will still be usable.

12. HDJulie, Jul 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2019

HDJulie macrumors demi-goddess

13. EnderBeta macrumors 6502a

EnderBeta

If the iMac from 2014 uses the same sad as the early 2015 MacBook Pro I have a 128GB drive that I am not using after I purchased a 512GB ssd off eBay $20 plus shipping and it’s yours. PM if you’re interested.

Another option is OWC has a adapter that allows you to use m.2 ssd drives in the Apple ssd slot. I believe the adapter is $11 and then you can use whatever off the shelf m.2 ssd you want.

14. shane0524, Jul 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2019

shane0524 thread starter macrumors newbie

this is what i figured, but where can i get that ssd component of the fusion drive? is it a standard form factor? to directly replace what came with this imac?
    --- Post Merged, Jul 26, 2019 ---

I was able to boot to internet recovery mode and was unable to get either drive to format. Now i have replaced the hdd with a working unit, and have reinstalled mac os on it, it is running ok but i am having an issue in disk utility it shows this? i am thinking the ssd is dead. I go to fix, and nothing happens it just returns to main screen of DU
    --- Post Merged, Jul 26, 2019 ---
    can you share a link to that adapter?

Attached Files:

15. shane0524 thread starter macrumors newbie

16. EnderBeta macrumors 6502a

EnderBeta

I found a review of the adapter at https://www.anandtech.com/show/14382/the-owc-aura-pro-x2-ssd-review-nvme-for-older-macs

And the product page

https://www.owcdigital.com/products/aura-pro-x2