Replacement iMac transfer help

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MightyWhite, Dec 26, 2012.

1. MightyWhite macrumors member

Hello.

Apple are swapping my new imac for a new one and when the new one comes I have both for a week before I need to send the old back.

How do I make the new one the same as the old one (without the screen defect of course)

Do I need to buy carbon copy cloner for £35 or do I just buy a cable to plug one to the other and hit a clever button?

I am holding off syncing my iPad and phones till I get the new one but just need a bit of advice as I have done a lot on my new 27" (photos, files, programmes, games, iTunes etc. etc.)

Cheers

Adam

2. aneftp macrumors 68040

Use time machine software from osx.

Just use any portable hard drive (time machine requires exclusive use of portable hard drive so don't put anything else on it).

When new iMac comes restore from portable hard drive.

3. MightyWhite thread starter macrumors member

Hello.

Thanks for your reply.

I have a 3tb g-dive partitioned with time machine and iTunes movies. Is it as simple as just doing a restore from the TM backup?
    That sounds awesome. Will that do the lot like folders, files, wallpaper and the lot?

4. benwiggy macrumors 68020

When you start up your new Mac for the first time, it will run the Migration Assistant, which offers you the chance to take all the data from a TM backup (or another Mac directly), and set it up on the new user machine.