Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MightyWhite

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 29, 2012
Oxford UK
Hello.

Apple are swapping my new imac for a new one and when the new one comes I have both for a week before I need to send the old back.

How do I make the new one the same as the old one (without the screen defect of course)

Do I need to buy carbon copy cloner for £35 or do I just buy a cable to plug one to the other and hit a clever button?

I am holding off syncing my iPad and phones till I get the new one but just need a bit of advice as I have done a lot on my new 27" (photos, files, programmes, games, iTunes etc. etc.)

Cheers

Adam

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Hello.

Apple are swapping my new imac for a new one and when the new one comes I have both for a week before I need to send the old back.

How do I make the new one the same as the old one (without the screen defect of course)

Do I need to buy carbon copy cloner for £35 or do I just buy a cable to plug one to the other and hit a clever button?

I am holding off syncing my iPad and phones till I get the new one but just need a bit of advice as I have done a lot on my new 27" (photos, files, programmes, games, iTunes etc. etc.)

Cheers

Adam

Use time machine software from osx.

Just use any portable hard drive (time machine requires exclusive use of portable hard drive so don't put anything else on it).

When new iMac comes restore from portable hard drive.

MightyWhite

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 29, 2012
Oxford UK
Hello.

Thanks for your reply.

I have a 3tb g-dive partitioned with time machine and iTunes movies. Is it as simple as just doing a restore from the TM backup?
That sounds awesome. Will that do the lot like folders, files, wallpaper and the lot?

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
When you start up your new Mac for the first time, it will run the Migration Assistant, which offers you the chance to take all the data from a TM backup (or another Mac directly), and set it up on the new user machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.