Replacement Ion-X glass

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by joedudgeonnn, Nov 23, 2015.

1. joedudgeonnn macrumors newbie

joedudgeonnn

I have an Apple Watch Sport, 42mm. My screen smashed and I was quoted £180 from Apple for a repair, so naturally I'm seeking a cheaper alternative and want to attempt the repair myself. I've managed to remove the glass, still attached to the LCD, as well as the battery, however I can't seem to source an Ion-X Glass LED unit anywhere. Can anyone point me in the right direction? And also, does anyone know if a sapphire glass unit would fit? Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

It is an OLED display and not LCD. As you see it is glued to the crystal. It is very unlikely you can separate the OLED (they are thin and fragile) from the crystal. Since the OLED is only made by LG you can't just buy a 3ed party replacement.

3. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

Only people who can fix would be Apple. There are no screen parts out there.

4. iPhysicist macrumors 6502a

iPhysicist

Only thing I could imagine is selling as is and buying a used-new one of eBay. This may reduce our loss a little better as there are always people out there trying to fix the unfixable but you may still lose a lot of money.
    I would not even TRY to do the replacement if there was a proper way to seal the watch again. Please bear in mind that it is not just reattaching the ribbon cable and gluing back on the screen part. If done wrong it goes along with complete loss of water resistance AND obviously voiding the guarantee if you do it on your own (even if you succeed).

My advice: Take the hit or go the bay route. Everything else will coast you more money in the end.

5. Batman89 macrumors 6502

BRUH

6. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/262088678381

7. Carmenia83 macrumors 6502

Swapping the Ion-X with sapphire has been on my mind since day 1. I want the durability but the ss watch is too heavy. Sadly, doesn't appear to be feasible.