Replacement iPhone 5S better screen than older 5S?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ann P, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Ann P macrumors 68020

I replaced my older 5S (purchased Sept 2013) due to a battery problem. On the replacement phone, the retina quality is so much better; the UI text is sharper. Is this common with initial production batches? Might think twice about being an early adopter now.

2. kmj2318 macrumors 68000

kmj2318

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd say its quite uncommon, the resolution, is unchanged and I believe the display panels being used has not changed either.

Perhaps your original 5s was defective.

4. Ann P, Apr 11, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2014

Ann P thread starter macrumors 68020

Here's what I'm talking about.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

5. roccobladr macrumors 6502

Was your old one updated to the latest iOS? Maybe your new one already had it installed

6. Merkie macrumors 68020

7. ipodlover77 macrumors 65816

ipodlover77

Your first one might have fallen culprit to interlacing.

Which is when you see super fine vertical scan lines running down your screen.

It makes your screen somewhat "grainy"

8. Ann P thread starter macrumors 68020

Ah, I see. Which display looks normal to you guys?

9. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

There's different manufacturer suppliers for the screen.

There are inherent differences between them if you're perceptive enough to things like contrast and clarity (I am) but pixel count is the same specs.

10. Appl3FTW macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

i swear apple users are the most critical. your screen is FINE, i do the same thing, nitpick on the smallest thing when it comes to my iDevices. I just realized that life is short and I shouldn't be such a perfectionist. LOL

Just enjoy your iPhone :)

11. C DM macrumors Westmere

There are those that do have actual issues of one type or another. That's not to necessarily say there's something behind what's in this thread specifically, but certainly various issues have been documented by different people.

12. miragebg macrumors 6502a

You want us to tell you which screen is better from a screenshots???? OMG, OMG, OMG.....

13. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

You have no authority in judging how good or bad a screen is if you're asking us to compare screenshots of your phone, as if that would capture any imperfection in the LCD itself.

Not to mention one of the screenshots is far larger than the other.

14. Ann P thread starter macrumors 68020

Careful, don't have a heart attack.

Lmao the hostility on this forum!

15. cynics macrumors G3

Ya there is a pretty low threshold here.

However there point is a screenshot is a software thing. A screen defect is a hardware thing. A completely broken screen will take the same screenshot as a fully functional one.

16. coleblk macrumors regular

Your first iPhone probably had screen interlacing. My original 5s didn't and my replacement does...along with my old iPhone 5. Many people will say it's not noticeable but it drives me crazy as the display is what you're staring at all day. I decided to give up on the display gamble all together and get an HTC One M8 with a pristine screen until the iPhone 6 comes out (hopefully with way better panel quality control).

17. unagimiyagi macrumors 6502a

Two problems with iphone 5 and 5s screens:

1. Yellow urine tint
    2. Screen interlacing/vertical lines/esp when moving your eyes across screen or on certain background colors, sky blue or gray.

Characteristic of cheap screens on a device that costs more than every other phone out there.

It's luck of the draw. The fact that some people don't notice doesn't mean it's not there. For the urine yellow tint, I've showed it twice to apple store employees and they've agreed right away. Too bad the replacements were even worse. You will have to go through 10 phones before you find one that has neither of these characteristics.