Replacement iPhone has someone else's iTunes account info.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by davidjearly, Dec 31, 2010.

1. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Hi,

I got a replacement iPhone 4 today from the genius bar, which I think is a refurb.

It's working fine and is in fine cosmetic condition, but it is logged into someone else's iTunes account. Not a big issue, but as the phone needed activated, I'm trying to work out how this is possible?

Any others experienced this before?

2. RedburnIV macrumors regular

RedburnIV

I've had this before with the first replacement phone. I went in to the App Store and there was someone else's log in email. I was a little pissed about that, but I guess it happens. The phone itself wasn't too good. Bad battery, yellow screen, and skipping songs. I had to take it back anyways. The serial number started with 5K also. My current phone starts with 880

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Happens.
    You can log out of their itunes account.

4. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

more likely what happened, when the genius employee plugged in your iPhone to an available Mac computer to activate your phone, someone must have logged into their iTunes account from that Mac and didn't sign out. So when he plugged in your phone, that information transferred over.

its happened to me a few times, when I'm at a friends house and my phones battery is running low, I will plug it into their computer to charge it, and without syncing (just plugging it in wile their iTunes is open), it will replace my Apple ID with theirs (but I can't buy anything, i still need their password).

5. davidjearly thread starter macrumors 68020

davidjearly

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Thanks for the explanation! Not a problem, just curious as to how it happened. As he activated the phone for me on one of the store MacBooks, that's likely what happened.

More than happy with the phone.

6. GaresTaylan macrumors 6502a

Doesnt seem like that big of a deal. Just log out of the account.

Although Apple really should be more careful. Granted there isnt a lot that can be done without the password - Id still be p!ssed if I found out Apple gave someone a phone that had my account on it.