Replacement Iphone - Is it better to do a clean install

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by C5Longhorn, Aug 28, 2011.

1. C5Longhorn macrumors regular

I had a hardware failure on my Iphone 4 and Apple gave me a new one. I've searched around the forums but can't find any clear info. Is it better to do a clean IOS install on the new phone or is there no issues with just doing a restore.

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks,

Rick

2. iDuel macrumors 6502a

iDuel

3. C5Longhorn thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the response. So there is no benefit to manually reinstalling and setting up the phone?

4. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

5. C5Longhorn thread starter macrumors regular

Good feedback. It sounds like if you have the patience and don't have too much data stored in your apps, the clean install is the way to go.

If this topic has been beat to death, I would appreciate any links. I did some searches but could not find much info that specifically addressed this.

Thanks,

Rick

6. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Why would you do anything with a new replacement anyway?

7. C5Longhorn thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry, I'm not following. I got a new or refurbed phone. It doesn't have any of my apps, pictures, email, etc. I can either restore from my backup or manually build the phone back by synching my apps, setting up email, etc.

I want the method that will make the phone operate at it's best.

8. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

If you had no software problems before just restore from your backup. Should be fine. Restoring clean and manually setting it up gives you no benefit.

9. C5Longhorn thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, phone was working fine and just had total hardware failure out of nowhere. I will have to manually synch my music and video back along with setting up my bluetooth connections. But otherwise, it looks like the restore will put everything else back in place.

Thanks,

Rick