Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tekno

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2011
My friend has an iPhone 4 which has stopped working ('SIM not recognised'). His previous iPhone had a faulty mic and was replaced after 6 months.

Although this current iPhone 4 is less than 12 months old, my friend seems to think that, as it's a replacement, the warranty just carried on from the faulty first phone and has therefore expired.

Surely the year's warranty should reset with the replacement handset? Anyone heard of this?

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
My friend has an iPhone 4 which has stopped working ('SIM not recognised'). His previous iPhone had a faulty mic and was replaced after 6 months.

Although this current iPhone 4 is less than 12 months old, my friend seems to think that, as it's a replacement, the warranty just carried on from the faulty first phone and has therefore expired.

Surely the year's warranty should reset with the replacement handset? Anyone heard of this?

Technically, it's a repair. By swapping the handset, they aren't actually replacing what you bought - you bought the box, headphones, charger etc too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.