Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

big_malk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2005
Scotland
Hi, the silent/ringer switch broke of my iPhone, and a got a replacement one at the Glasgow Apple Store today, they activated it and it was working fine. I got it home, tried to restore from the backup of my old phone, and here's what's happening so far...

Plugged in, tried to restore "This iPhone cannot be restored because the software it too old, set it up an a new iPhone, update the software and restore again" (or something to that effect).

Set it up as new, updated it...
Restored it from the backup, it restarted...
Asked to restore it again, restored it from the backup, it restarted...
Again, it asked me to restore from a backup...

Am I mistaken, or after it's restored from a backup, should the iTunes window not show the options of what to sync etc? Every time I plug it in after a restore, iTunes asks to restore from a backup or set it up as a new iPhone.
The phone works fine, all my contacts are there, I can call and text, third party apps are installed but crash on launch, there's no media synced yet.

Thanks

SFC Archer

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2007
Troy, MT
Welcome to my world and it is looking like many many others.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/551374/

My only option was to restore as a new iPhone and rebuild all of my accounts and stuff...which is getting really old. This is my 3rd time since 2.0.1-once with 0.1 and twice so far with 0.2

IMO and I will beat this to death...It is the iTunes(7.7....) and iPhone(2.0....) software. IT IS BROKE!!! And until Apple gets SERIOUS and fixes it with rewritten software, it will not be any better with placebo fixes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.