Replacement iPhone Unlocked?

blairh

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
Just had my iPhone replaced by iPhone. It was unlocked by AT&T prior to having it replaced. I called AT&T with my new IMEI number and they confirmed that the iPhone just given to me by Apple is unlocked.

So if you bring an unlocked iPhone to Apple and they replace it, it's also unlocked? The genius that replaced my iPhone said I would need to request an unlock from AT&T, but I wanted to be sure before doing so.

Also I checked the warranty on my replacement iPhone and it's one year from today. I was happily surprised. Is this a known fact too?

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Ventura County
Technically, all replacement iPhones for AT&T can be unlocked (even if under a contract or Next payment plan). The reason being is, the Next plan and contract is tied to the IMEI number. When you get a replacement, its no longer rate same IMEI number so all you have to do is put it into AT&T's unlock request system and it will immediately process it (whether its locked or not).

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
When Apple replaces a phone with another the new phone will have the same unlock status as the old one. After all it's Apple that controls the unlock status and not AT&T or other provider.
The warranty normally is 90 days or the original warranty whichever is longer.

blairh

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
When Apple replaces a phone with another the new phone will have the same unlock status as the old one. After all it's Apple that controls the unlock status and not AT&T or other provider.
The warranty normally is 90 days or the original warranty whichever is longer.
The iPhone that was replaced had a warranty of October 7 2017. This replacement iPhone lists August 8 2018.
[doublepost=1502218645][/doublepost]
Technically, all replacement iPhones for AT&T can be unlocked (even if under a contract or Next payment plan). The reason being is, the Next plan and contract is tied to the IMEI number. When you get a replacement, its no longer rate same IMEI number so all you have to do is put it into AT&T's unlock request system and it will immediately process it (whether its locked or not).
It's not that simple. AT&T denied my unlock request with my last iPhone because I didn't have 6 months of service with that specific model, even though online it states that pertains to gophone/pre-paid customers, which I'm not, I'm post-paid. I had to call them and request an unlock which was granted days later to get it unlocked.

EDH667

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2009
Northern California
The iPhone that was replaced had a warranty of October 7 2017. This replacement iPhone lists August 8 2018.
The replacement iPhone warranty will more than likely change to October 7th within 24 hours. I had the same thing happen with a replacement iPhone which showed a new one year warranty but then reverted to the original expiration date of the phone it replaced within a day.

blairh

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
The replacement iPhone warranty will more than likely change to October 7th within 24 hours. I had the same thing happen with a replacement iPhone which showed a new one year warranty but then reverted to the original expiration date of the phone it replaced within a day.
Insert balloon deflating gif here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.