Replacement iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by sheppy1, May 13, 2010.

1. sheppy1 macrumors 6502a

sheppy1

Hi guys, just need a little help here, I bought a white 3GS about 3 months ago, brand new from the shop, the day I bought it I put it in a case and put a screen protector on it, I even have a bodyguardz on it now too (I take very good care of my gadgets) anyway, it has never been dropped or anything like that. Today while cleaning it I noticed 3 small cracks on the back of the phone, 1 near the headphone jack, 1 on the left side part of the phone and 1 on the right side part of the phone, are Apple likely to replace my phone for me? It's just I paid £470 ($700) for this phone and it's barely 3 months old and it's already starting to fall apart...I'm slightly annoyed

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

3. sheppy1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

sheppy1

Brilliant, thanks for your reply, do you know if I am going to need the receipt? it's just I have no idea where it is

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I think they're able to go by the serial number, but I don't know for sure. Actually, I take that back, when I went in to replace my 3G after 11 months, I know I didn't have a receipt and they replaced it. They were surprised I brought the box with me (they didn't need it). They hand you a refurb in a white box, sans headphones, etc.

5. sheppy1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

sheppy1

Ok thats good then, cheers. The main reason that I'm annoyed by this is that I ordered a Bodygaurdz for it about 2 weeks ago from the states, it cost me about £25 and it took 2 weeks to get here, while installing it I discovered those 3 cracks but I had to carry on with the installation, anyway I've just finished installing it and it's damn near perfect but you can't see the cracks anymore so if I want it replacing I'm going to have to rip it off to show them and if they then go and say they can't replace it that will have been a waste of time, effort and money

6. sheppy1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

sheppy1

I think I might actually wait to see if they get any worse as I REALLY don't want to remove this BodyGuardz protector because it's on there perfectly

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

IMO, I wouldn't replace a phone for small cracks, if everything else is working perfectly. Although the refurbs have better quality control, since they're not right out of the factory, you might get one with no cracks, but something else wrong (like wifi issues or battery problems).

8. sheppy1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

sheppy1

Yea you're right, I've had 4 iPhones now (my first one being a 2G which I bought when they were first released) and they have all had some minor problem, 2 of them have had dead pixels, one had a loose silence rocker, the one I have now has none of those problems, perfect in every way except for these small hairline cracks, I'm not THAT bothered about them atm, if they stay like they are now then I'll be fine with that, I just don't want them to get any bigger

9. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

When you get to the end of your one year, then make the decision. FYI, if you do get a replacement, you get three months or the end of your warranty, whichever is greater to return the replacement phone (and then 3 more months, etc.).