Replacement iPhones - Different Quality Control Than Retail?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MICHAELSD, Jul 14, 2009.

1. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

I just received my replacement iPhone 3GS a few minutes ago. There are a few hairline scratches in what looks like a dotted, diagonal line across the bottom left of the screen. The metal is nicked in a few places, too, but I don't care enough to replace it just for that. Now I'm going to have to get another replacement, mostly because of the screen. When I got my last two iPhones replaced (once for each), the replacements came out of a retail box so I've never dealt with the replacement supply. The serial number starts with an 8 so I doubt that it's a refurbished model. I'm going to request my next iPhone 3GS replacement to come from the retail supply. Do you think Apple will go for that?

2. Jay26 macrumors member

As you know, Apple has different supplies for both. They are the same phones, but they have to keep different stock for each supply. They will not be able to use a retail phone, but it wouldn't matter. If you're not happy with the replacement, take it back and justify your issues. I got a replacement last week and the rep confirmed it was brand new.