Replacement iPhones for Drops/Water Damage VS Squaretrade

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jclardy, Jun 28, 2010.

1. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

I have heard of people with broken iPhone 4's that bring them in and Apple offers them a replacement for $199. Can you do this at any time?

I am just wondering because I am deciding whether to buy a squaretrade warranty. I've had multiple iPhones/iPods but have never broken any of them, but if Apple does offer replacements at $199 it seems Squaretrade isn't that great of a deal...

Say I drop my iPhone:
    ST is $99 + $50 deductible = $149 + have to wait on ST for replacement check

vs

Apple $199 get a refurb replacement in the store.

It seems like I would be better off saving $99 and going without the warranty knowing that I can get a replacement phone for $199 in the case that I broke my iPhone. I could save $50 by using ST, but I also lose $100 if I don't break my phone.

Is there something I am missing? Does Apple's $199 replacement program only apply in certain cases?

2. tocheeba macrumors member

I've been wondering about this since last night, but I was too lazy to ask anyone yet since I'm waiting for the white iPhone :) I'd love to know the answer to this, as I was thinking the same exact thing!

3. millerb7 macrumors 6502a

I think you have to have AppleCare for that deal. So you buy AppleCare, break your phone, then pay $199 for a new one.

4. BurntOrangeMac macrumors newbie

You actually don't have to have apple care.

I dropped mine in water after a year an a half and the apple care had already expired....

They offered me the 199 replacement.

5. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

Nope the $199 replacement is the out-of-warranty replacement. Meaning everything (except catastrophic damage) that isn't covered in the warranty falls under this category. Also once your warranty expires, all replacements fall under this category.

If you are within your AppleCare time period, and the damage is covered under AppleCare its a free replacement. Otherwise, its $199 (except catastrophic damage).

6. Alex Hobbs macrumors member

7. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Yes, it's better to self-insure with $199 in the bank.

Additionally, if you purchased your iPhone using an Amex card (with purchase protection plan), you're covered against accidental damage and theft for 90 days and Amex will mirror your Applecare coverage for the 2nd year and reimburse you to repair your phone in case of failure. Both free of charge.

8. CBR900RR macrumors 6502a

9. millerb7 macrumors 6502a

Don't believe so.