Replacement iphones

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pugple, Apr 14, 2008.

1. pugple macrumors member

I just had my original iphone replaced at an Apple store due to hardware issues this weekend. All I got was a new iphone, no box or anything. Is this normal? The guy took it out of a white box and I asked him if it was a new one or a refurb and he said it was new.

I'm just curious since on the retail box, it had my serial number and IMEI. I don't have the serial number or IMEI of this replacement iphone except on the iphone itself. From what I understand, if an iphone was stolen and someone tried to sell it but you had the retail packaging with matching IMEI/serial, you'd be able to get it back. I don't know. :p

2. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

write it down? email it to yourself?

3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Yes, that is normal procedure. (Also, Apple replacement products can be both new or refurbished.)

Your notion about serial numbers and packaging is false, however. Apple does not assist in recovering or tracking stolen products. Just make sure you record the serial number of this new iPhone in a safe place, so you can report it to the police if it is stolen.

4. Bonkey macrumors newbie

I had my Iphone replaced and I was given the entire box, ear buds, etc...

5. guruji macrumors member

i think it depends on the guy in the store. if he wishes you get brand-new-in-the-box if he thinks other wise you may end up with refurb or loaner. there does not seem to be any written policy.

6. chrismac00 macrumors 6502a

I got a replacement iPhone. All "new" things from Apple are actually refurbished if the serial number on the replacement starts with 5K. If not, then you're lucky because you got a real new iPhone

7. pugple thread starter macrumors member

I didn't mean they would help. I just meant it would be easier to prove it was yours if you had the actual box with the IMEI and serial number printed on it. But yeah, i've wrote it down just in case. Was just wondering if it was normal.

My store didn't have any more retail 8gb iphones left and at first, he was going to give me a 16gb iphone in retail packaging but at the last moment, someone in the back found one in the white packaging.

I used coconut info to see when the phone was made and it was during late March so I think it's new. It's also got no blemishes or scratches of any sort. Oddly enough, I keep thinking it's thicker than my old one for some reason.

8. Saladinos macrumors 68000

Saladinos

Yes, it is normal for this to happen. I've had my iPhone replaced twice (heat issues), and they've taken it out of a thinner version of the iPhone's original box. Both phones were new and the one I have now works flawlessly.