Replacement keyboard not working?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PCrew0000, Sep 16, 2011.

1. PCrew0000 macrumors newbie

About a month ago, I've managed to spill some juice onto my MacBook Pro. I've drained it, opened it up and cleaned it. After waiting a day, I've fired it up again and everything worked perfectly.

After about 4 days, the keyboard short circuited and got stuck on one key so I couldn't do anything. I've tried cleaning the keyboard and ended up killing the whole keyboard (including the power button).

I've ordered a new one off eBay, installed it but for some unknown reason it does not work. It's pretty much the same thing - no keys and no power button.

What could be the issue?
    The logic board works perfectly with an external keyboard but not having a power button is annoying.

Is the new keyboard incompatible (the pins on the connector seemed a tiny bit thinner)? I think the keyboard came from the same kind of a MacBook but a different model. Or could it be a logic board issue?

Attached Files:

2. kbfr08 macrumors 6502

kbfr08

No keys and no power button = disconnected keyboard. Unless caps lock lights up, then you need to push the kbd cable in further. You can put a piece of tape on it to help pull it into the connector.

To the left of the connector, there's a cypress semiconductor keyboard controller. That *may* be the problem, in some extreme cases of water damage. You can pick up a replacement chip from digikey for right around 7 bucks. Save that as an option if you're desperate, since it's likely not the problem.

3. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Make sure and unlatch the connector (as that is a ZIF socket). You can pull out the cable and reinsert it without unlatching, but it will not seat correctly.

4. PCrew0000 thread starter macrumors newbie

My guess is that the new keyboard was dead on arrival. I've attached a picture of the plugged-in connector. I don't think it can go any further. Am I doing something wrong?

It is not possible to damage the controller by shorting the keyboard, right? I always thought that if one part of the logic board is damaged, it wouldn't start up (the MagSafe light will usually flash).

Attached Files:

• Rite.jpg
      Rite.jpg
      File size:
      139.7 KB
      Views:
  5. PCrew0000 thread starter macrumors newbie

Damn.

Contacted the eBay seller about the (possibly) malfunctioning keyboard replacement. Still not sure whether it is my keyboard or my logic board.

What could it be? Did I not insert the cable properly or is the keyboard incompatible? Or is my logic board damaged (there are no other signs - everything works fine)?

PS: The caps lock light does not turn on.

6. Alex94 macrumors newbie

If I may continue the thread rather than start another: my request is for any tips on refitting the keyboard connector.

Background: I got some coffee on my keyboard. Immediately flipped the MacBook Pro (unibody) over, so the coffee ran out. Dried it. Lots of keys not working. So, took the back off, disconnected battery, flushed the entire unit with clean warm water and dried it. Now worked with just 5 or 6 keys not working. So I then completely dismantled the unit, including the 50 screws on the back of the keyboard behind the backlight polyester panel, washed it all, dried it, reassembled. Anyhow, all is fine, except I can't get the keyboard connector in. Any tips to get that connector back in?

I realise the keyboard connector is supposed to be a ZIF connector, and have unlatched it. I have tried Magic tape on the flex cable to pull it in, no joy.

Note:
    1. My warranty ran out over a year ago, and fast fixing a water problem avoids much bigger problems due to corrosion a few days later.

2. I'm a professional electronics design engineer. Using warm water like this so long as it is dried afterwards, is fine: even putting motherboards in a dishwasher on low temp is fine - not the LCD though. I used warm air to dry the unit, rice or silica desiccant also works as a drier. There is absolutely no corrosion damage visible, or any other physical damage.

3. The original Macbook Pro was great: I replaced it in 2009 after wearing out 2 keyboards, upgrading disks, using it every day, then LCD started going. In comparison these 2009 model unibodies are a pain to disassemble, unlike the original MacBook Pros which were easy. Real disappointed with the unibody as battery is not replaceable, USB is all on the wrong side (left: originally they were left and right), and the lip on the front of mine was very sharp. Taking the unibody apart, I see the economy of construction, but it is a right pain to change things like the keyboard. Hope the next MacBook Pro is more service friendly.

7. randomrazr macrumors 65816

buy new macbook