Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattjgalloway

macrumors member
Original poster
May 21, 2006
Hey everyone, just thought I'd let everyone know about my recent AppleCare service.

I have had my MacBook for just over 2 years now and I have 3 year warranty on it, so when a crack started appearing in my case I thought, right, take it in and get a new top case. This was quite a nice thought as my keyboard was looking quite old as well so it would make it look nicer as well.

So I took it into my local Apple Store, which isn't that close to me. They said I had to wait 2 hours for an appointment with a Genius. When he served me he was also serving another person at the same time, but he was quick at taking in my MacBook and getting me on my way. They didn't have the keyboard in stock so he ordered it in.

Anyway, this was all yesterday and I picked it up today. I thought, great, all looks good. But then when I got it home I noticed they'd put a US keyboard on and I'm in the UK! The "GeniusBar" note says it should have been a British keyboard. I noticed the problem as soon as I started typing on it, so you'd think they'd have been able to spot it as well if they're half intelligent or at least use computers a lot.

I'm really disappointed as I now have to go back in again and get it sorted, again. I'm not looking forward to it...

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
If you were in the US, and they didn't even notice you had a UK keyboard, or never paid any attention to you telling them, I could at least understand. But having a UK keyboard, living in the UK, it begs the question, 'What happened'? :(

Perhaps the Genius didn't bother to check the part sent before installing it? :eek:

Hopefully they'll get it sorted out quickly.
Good Luck. :)

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
No....

If you were in the US, and they didn't even notice you had a UK keyboard, or never paid any attention to you telling them, I could at least understand. But having a UK keyboard, living in the UK, it begs the question, 'What happened'? :(

Perhaps the Genius didn't bother to check the part sent before installing it? :eek:

Hopefully they'll get it sorted out quickly.
Good Luck. :)

The saying "begs the question" doesn't literally mean asks to be questioned.

That is all.

mattjgalloway

macrumors member
Original poster
May 21, 2006
Hehe, it's not the @ and " keys actually - on a UK Apple keyboard they're in the same place as a US Apple keyboard (different to Windows layout). The BIG problem is no ~ key next to the left hand shift key, the # above the 3 (instead of £) and the return key being so annoyingly placed!

All problems which I do actually have a big problem with. I was trying to code last night and was in the terminal quite a lot and finding it so annoying not having a ~ key (for shortcut for home directory).

Anyway, taking it back in today, so wish me luck!

mattjgalloway

macrumors member
Original poster
May 21, 2006
Well, it's all been fixed. The Genius was very apologetic and he managed to fix it in store for me, within 30 minutes. So overall I'm quite pleased with Apple - was starting to get annoyed with them, but then today's service was really good, so I'm happy :-D.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
Well, it's all been fixed. The Genius was very apologetic and he managed to fix it in store for me, within 30 minutes. So overall I'm quite pleased with Apple - was starting to get annoyed with them, but then today's service was really good, so I'm happy :-D.
:cool:
At least it didn't take forever. ;) :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.