Replacement keys for 2011 MBA

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Geekbabe, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Geekbabe
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

Geekbabe

I blog & tend to be a bit hard on keyboards, the white ink is wearing off a couple of keys on my 2011 MBA. I know it's a small thing but it bothers me, particularly when the backlight is on. The computer is only 1o months old & I have AppleCare on it. Can I get replacement keys?

2. old-wiz
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors G3

AppleCare doesn't cover normal wear and tear.

3. Geekbabe
    Expand Collapse
    thread starter macrumors 6502a

Geekbabe

Okay, will they replace the keys for a fee?

4. boba7523
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors regular

How is the ink coming off? Do you have acid on your finger tips or something?

5. BigMcGuire
    Expand Collapse
    Contributor

BigMcGuire

Check out: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2276987?start=0&tstart=0

http://fixapplenow.com/repairs/macbookair/3g-keyboard-replacement.html

Just did a Google. I type pretty fast and my Macbook Air keyboard is already showing wear after 7 months. I'm going to probably shovel up the $200-$300 to have Apple replace it sometime next year (want to keep the thing for awhile). :p

----------

Good question as the letters on my Macbook Air seem to be doing pretty well even though I abuse the keyboard a bit. But hey everyone is different.

6. Geekbabe
    Expand Collapse

Geekbabe

I write for a living, a keyboard gets a lot of use here :)

7. old-wiz
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors G3

I can remember back when I was writing code - I wore keys down myself, but I didn't pay too much attention since I pretty much touch-keyed all the time. Apple would probably just replace the entire keyboard, but no idea what it would cost.

8. Mrbobb
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 601

Human's sweat is caustic.

Never mind the keys, after a while where u rest your palms, is gonna get discolored by the sweat. Start wiping it off with a clean damp cloth regularly.

Cheap fix: one of those membrane thing with imprinted keys, some of them sound very thin and unobtrusive.

Maybe able to DIY if u want originals. Ifix.com may have the keys but u have to basically disassemble the whole shegang, scary.

9. Acronyc
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

I write a lot as well every day for work, and this is exactly why I got a keyboard cover for my 2010 MBA. After 22 months of heavy usage my keys are pristine and I can type just as fast and accurately. If you do get your keys replaced, consider a thin keyboard cover in the future (I have the Moshi one) to keep them in good shape.

10. thomaskelly427
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors member

Most Apple Stores and some 3rd Party Authorized Service Providers have extra keyboard keys for quick repairs. It is alot easier to replace a ripped off or broken key or two then a whole keyboard. If it is just a few buttons and you don't damage the small rubber nipple that is under the keys then most likely they will replace they keys you need for free.

Now if it needs a whole keyboard and it doesn't looked like you abused machine, if you get a good Genius they will replace it for you under warranty. This is especially true if it is a 922 part (part that doesn't need to be sent back to apple and is disposed of).

I know when I was a Genius that if it wasn't abused, I'd try to do whatever I can to help people out. Being nice to the Genius sometimes can go a long way. And it helps a lot to take good care of your computer. The Genii for the most part are less willing to help some one that abuses their computer.

11. Geekbabe
    Expand Collapse

Geekbabe

It's just a couple of keys, I baby my Mac, it's in a Wrapsol skin, the Palm rest is protected, the ink just wore off some keys though use :) and I am always really nice to the Genius staff, most of them are a pleasure to talk to :)

----------

I have a Wrapsol skin on the palm rest area of the computer to prevent discoloration. I'm not fond of keyboard covers though.

12. Mrbobb
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 601

Well apparently u CAN replace the individual key caps without opening up the machine. Here is one LINK, am sure there are others, Google.

13. tums
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors member

Has anybody replaced the key caps? I am interested in if this works and the level of involvement required. Looking at my shiny space bar.....